Sous Chef - Little Creek Casino Resort
Little Creek Casino Resort
Shelton, Washington 98584
Aug 19, 2022
Oct 19, 2022
Type of Position:
Food and Beverage
The Sous Chef oversees the direction of the kitchen’s daily activities in accordance with LCCR policies and objectives to ensure guest satisfaction, profitability and a positive, productive and compliant work environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for assisting the Executive Chef with the overall kitchen operations, including food and labor cost controls.
- The Sous Chef is responsible for the effective management and operation of the public food culinary team including event planning support, scheduling, food preparation and production, food cost control, compliance with food safety and sanitation policies, cleaning, kitchen safety, employee training and supervision, and any other tasks assigned by the Food and Beverage Director or Executive Chef.
- The Sous Chef will provide oversight and resolution responsibility for employee performance issues. The Sous Chef must provide a high level of event oversight, culinary proficiency and operational/personnel support to ensure the smooth running of any assigned event.
- A critical function of the Sous Chef will be to actively mentor, train and help employees meet company quality standards, and to promote a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Responsible for knowing all events in the property.
- Attend all mandatory meetings and training.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Display sensitivity to Native American Culture.
- Operate within the parameters of the Little Creek Human Resource Policies, Departmental Policies and all other applicable regulations.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly supervises all Cooks, Prep Cooks, Kitchen Managers
- Direction may be provided to Cooks, Prep Cooks and Runners regarding preparation and stocking requirements.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; and addressing complaints and resolving problems and evaluating employee’s performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
- Strong communicator with the patience and ability to train others
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to read financial statements.
- Successful in managing and controlling food cost.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Food/Beverage Service Worker Permit, where applicable.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public and other Team Members.
- Read, write and speak and understand English.
- Ability to understand financial goals and accomplish them.
- Ability to keep up with current trends on creative menu planning, plating, dessert, buffet and presentation.
- Ability to work extended hours when business necessitates.
Education and/or Experience
- Formal culinary training/certification or associate degree in culinary arts required
- Minimum 3 years Sous Chef management experience required in both a la carte & banquet operations.
- Minimum 3 years cooking experience in a moderate to high volume environment
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Class II Gaming License issued from the Squaxin Island Gaming Commission
- Class 12 Mixologist Permit
- Current Washington State Food Worker Card
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
- The employee frequently is required to walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is frequently exposed to extreme heat.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Medical - $25.00 Employee Rate
- Vision HRA
- 401K with a company match of up to 6%
- Vacation/Holiday/Personal/Unpaid/Sick Leave Options
- FSA – Medical & Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Shield/Identity Shield
- Free Meals while on Shift
- Community Vendor Discounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Training and Career Development Programs
- Employee Discounts across Property
- You can play 18 holes of golf for $50
- You can play 9 holes of golf for $30
- 15% discount at the Pro Shop
- 25% discount at the Spa
- 15% discount at all restaurants
- 50% off childcare at the Squaxin Island Childcare Center 6 wks-5 years ($500 month infant care)
- Plus More!!!
Benefits begin on the 1st day of the month following your hire date even if you start on the 31st of the month.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on Apply Now to submit your Casino Careers resume and also to be redirected to our company online Employment Application, which must also be completed.
Little Creek Casino
West 91 Highway 108
Shelton, WA 98584
Little Creek Casino located in Shelton, Washington just minutes north of Olympia on Highway 101, features 1220 slot machines, a poker room, and table games which include blackjack, poker, roulette, craps, and many others.
The Creek offers resort accommodations with 190 rooms, 6 dining options, concerts & entertainment, meeting & convention space and many casino amenities. The facility also features an RV park with 44 spaces, a Golf Club, and a Spa.