Legal Operations Manager - Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Legal Operations Manager
Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Highland, California 92346
Mar 18, 2022
Nov 01, 2022
Type of Position:
Under the direction of Director, Legal Operations, the Legal Operations Manager plays a key role in identifying, designing, implementing and reinforcing the processes and systems that are critical to the Legal department. The Legal Operations Manager uses Lean for Law techniques to ensure that the department is efficient and provides stellar services to internal and external customers. This position is responsible for the day-to-day operational management of new and existing legal service intake, legal technology systems, legal service provider/vendor management, e-billing and financial management, matter lifecycle management, legal data base management, litigation support, and data analytics and reporting.
This position is an active member and contributor to the Legal Operations team and works across practice areas within the Legal and Enterprise Compliance departments and other support functions to enable the efficient and effective delivery of legal services to Tribal government and enterprise partners. The Legal Operations Manager is also responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of administrative responsibilities within the Legal department, as well as the direct daily supervision of the administrative team members.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Oversees Legal department matter lifecycle management from intake to final review. Acts as primary contact for all matter management issues, manages, and supports a central legal service intake process/system, and proactively addresses changes in incoming requests as needed. Collaborates with attorneys and others to triage and classify matter scope, estimates time/duration, assigns resources, prioritizes tasks, identifies process issues, and finds solutions to ensure the smooth operation of the Legal department. Develops metrics, dashboards and runs periodic reports to measure performance against departmental goals. Leads inter-department and intra-department initiatives and activities, including oversight of transactional practices and project management.
2. Utilizes leadership skills and knowledge of legal operations including Lean for Law and Legal Project Management (LPM) techniques to assist in the design, development, and implementation of a new legal management system to streamline departmental policies, protocols, processes, and practices. Serves as a liaison between attorneys and other legal team members to develop and implement best practices, procedures, tools, and techniques. Maintains the legal database to ensure data integrity and searchability in the day-to-day operations.
3. Acts as e-billing subject matter expert (SME), manages Legal department’s e-billing system and conducts initial review of all posted invoices, analyzes rejections and/or deductions, resolves audit issues, and monitors/reconciles invoices between e-billing and accounts payable systems to ensure timely payment for services rendered and provides reporting to various stakeholders.
4. Collaborates with Procurement to vet and onboard legal service providers. Collaborates with senior leadership and legal service providers to drive efficient vendor management by reducing legal spend, while enforcing compliance with enterprise billing requirements, internal protocol, and vendor guidelines. Oversees timekeeper management, including new timekeeper matter assignment request process and approval reviews. Provides strategic support to leadership on annual business reviews with top law firms to ensure targeted, data-driven pricing negotiations, based on spend metrics and benchmarking.
5. Oversees the budget and accrual process and liaises with lead attorneys and legal service providers to ensure accurate accruals are submitted with documentation. Conducts periodic reviews of spending reports by firm/matter/lead company person and annual outside counsel rate sheet reviews to control cost. Uses innovation and strategic thinking to design e-billing processes improvements for increased efficiencies to ensure effective operation of the e-billing function. Develops and delivers training to system users on new e-billing processes and maintain system documentation where necessary.
6. Leads regularly scheduled reporting requirements on open matter, budget, top law firms, top 10-15 matters, annual spending, etc. Develops and runs medium-complexity reports for business intelligence to assist leadership in decision making. Analyzes key billing and/or matter data sets to perform comparative analytics across functional activities and recommends process improvements. Proactively identifies patterns and trends influencing the department’s overall legal spending or matter workload. Provides routine and ad hoc analysis and reporting as required.
7. Provides litigation support to attorneys with complex lawsuits as required. Collaborates with attorneys and administrative support to build and maintain databases, review documents, and retrieve records where necessary. Develops or updates the template to efficiently track and report e-discovery cost avoidance/savings for e-discovery vendors.
8. Manages the legal department employee onboarding and off boarding processes.
9. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department and assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to any public health emergency.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Law Office Administration, Management, or related field is required. Master's degree in Law Firm Management or MBA or related field is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience with an existing legal operations function, building or running legal operations capabilities from conception to completion with documented success including experience with technology trends.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience managing functions, teams or departments is required.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant, and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Extensive in-house or law firm experience with strong functional knowledge in legal operations, business operations or contract management or administration is required.
- Recent experience as an office administrator, office manager including supervision of administrative staff in a professional services environment is preferred. Experience as a business/operations manager within Compliance, Finance, Procurement, and/or Commercial will also be considered.
- Experience with Serengeti/Legal Tracker or similar enterprise legal e-billing software is required.
- Previous budget management experience is highly preferred.
- Must have exceptional financial acumen including the ability to forecast and monitor the accrual of legal spend.
- Must have experience developing and implementing legal management process and system or legal-related technology systems or tools is preferred.
- Ability to blend technology with effective Legal Project Management (LPM).
- Advanced proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Visio (including an ability to manage multiple calendars).
- Experience creating and working with Gantt and LACI charts.
- Must have impeccable attention to detail, strong project management skills, experience in change management and have a passion for excellence and innovation.
- Must have excellent organizational and communication skills (in writing and in-person) and the ability to work in an environment that requires constant multi-tasking and a high level of responsiveness.
- Ability to proactively identify and analyze issues and problems, recommend, and implement solutions, along with good independent judgment.
- Demonstrated leadership and project management in cross-functional projects
- Ability to work proactively and prioritize, take direction, operate autonomously as well as part of a team demonstrating strong business partnering skills.
- Demonstrates strong sense of ownership and responsibility for executing at a high level; possess a high level of humility, honesty, integrity, and discretion.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the companys insurance carrier.
- As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Legal Department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening and criminal history background check.
- Professional certification in Legal Project Management or Project Management is preferred.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law. As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
Why you’ll want to work on our Team:
After 35 years, long time Yaamava Resort & Casino at San Manuel employees still love their jobs
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel – San Manuel Casino is now Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel.
We are located just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles in the city of Highland, CA, Our gaming resort is owned and operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority.
Phase 1 of our expansion opened July 24 with an expanded casino space offering more than 6,500 slots, five high-limit gaming rooms, live entertainment, a full array of dining options which include The Pines Modern Steakhouse, the Hong Bao Kitchen, Just Barbeque, the Serrano Vista Cafe, Rock & Brews, the Chingon Kitchen, Quick Bikes, the Big Mo’ Cafe, the TuTu’s Food Court and six cocktail lounges and bars.
Our luxury resort features a 17-floor hotel tower with 432 guest rooms and suites, an elevated pool deck experience, a lavish full-service spa and salon, expanded dining options, convenient 24-hour in-room dining. Our gaming resort offers sweeping views of the San Bernardino Mountains.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us.
Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be.
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive Benefits Program:
Apply today to join our team!