Sous Chef - FireKeepers Casino Hotel
FireKeepers Casino Hotel
Battle Creek, Michigan 49014
Jan 06, 2022
Feb 07, 2022
Type of Position:
Food and Beverage
The Sous Chef is responsible for the quality assurance of all finished food products of the venue and the supervision of all food production ensuring all company specifications and standards are satisfied in the absence of the Head Chef on assigned shift.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a list of the main duties and responsibilities. However, other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by management. All duties must be performed in accordance with Tribal, Federal, and other applicable requirements, organizational specific policies, procedures and practices.
- Ensures all specifications in all recipes and food apportionment are met.
- Maintains excellent kitchen hygiene conditions at all times.
- Controls food and labor costs on a continual basis within approved budgetary controls.
- Maintains knowledge of all State Health Department regulations and ensures all conditions and standards are met.
- Assists in the preparation, portioning and garnishment of all foods.
- Participates and presides over departmental and venue meetings facilitating the flow of pertinent information from management to Team Members.
- Works with various department leadership in resolving venue conflicts and disputes, ensuring high standards of guest service and Team Member relations.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality.
- Responsible for maintaining a consistent, regular attendance record as outlined in the FireKeepers Casino Hotel Attendance Policy.
- Outstanding example of and a credit to FireKeepers Casino Hotel.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include maintaining sufficient staffing levels; interviewing, hiring, and training Team Members; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining Team Members; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Minimum Required Qualifications
An applicant’s education, training and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the ability to successfully perform each of the essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. FireKeepers reserves the right to verify the sufficiency of a candidate’s education, training and competencies through the interview process, testing and methods. The requirements listed below are generally representative of the education, experience, and skills and/or abilities required to enable one to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Four years previous experience as a line cook in a full-service restaurant, casino or hotel.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
General or Preferred Qualifications
No general or preferred qualifications.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instruction, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimal, and work with mathematical such as probability and statistical inference.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Physical & Environmental Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this position, a Team Member is regularly required to talk or to hear. The Team Member is also regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls. A Team Member is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, and to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Work is performed throughout all areas of the facility where the noise level varies from quiet to loud depending upon business. Must be able to work in a smoke filled environment..
Indian preference will be applied in the selection of qualified applicants in accordance with the NHBP Indian Preference in Employment Code, which affords employment preferences to NHBP Tribal citizens, parents or spouses of NHBP citizens and other Native Americans. For purposes of this preference, NHBP law defines "Native American" as: (a) an enrolled member of any other federally-recognized Indian tribes; (b) an enrolled member of a Canadian Indian tribe or First Nation; or (c) an enrolled member of the Grand River Band of Ottawa Indians or the Burt Lake Band of Ottawa/Chippewa Indians.
FireKeepers Casino Hotel reserves the right to make changes to the above job description as necessary.
FireKeepers offers a FUN work environment and an attractive benefit package with comprehensive health care, bi-annual discretionary incentive bonuses, tuition reimbursement, ongoing training and opportunities for advancement, and SO much more! Plus, you could qualify for a $1,000 sign-on bonus!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
FireKeepers Casino Hotel
11177 E. Michigan Avenue
Battle Creek, MI 49014
FireKeepers Casino Hotel, a first-class gaming facility, near Battle Creek, Michigan on a 78-acre portion of The Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi Tribe’s reservation. The Casino is easily accessible from the adjacent and heavily traveled Interstate 94, near the Interstate 69 interchange. The facility is situated approximately halfway between Detroit and Chicago.
- Approximately 130,000 square-feet of gaming space, including 2,900 Class III slot machines, 70 table games, including blackjack, craps, roulette and baccarat, and 160 seat live poker room.
- A high-limit gaming area with a VIP lounge.
- A 446 room resort-style hotel complete with indoor pool, exercise facility, full service restaurant and a 2,000 guest concert venue.
- Six distinctive and diverse dining options, including a 70-seat signature fine dining restaurant, a 24-hour cafe, a 110-seat quick service restaurant and a grab-and-go outlet.
- "FireKeepers Pit Stop" featuring a car wash, convenience store with various food and beverage items, as well as a place to fill up your gas tank.
- A Casino gift shop with branded merchandise.
- An attached multi-level parking garage that will accommodate approximately 2,000 vehicles, surface parking for an additional 400 vehicles and an area for bus and recreational vehicle parking.
Below is a description of our excellent benefits:
Comprehensive medical coverage with a broad provider network. FireKeepers Casino Hotel offers Team Members benefits that include medical, dental, vision, 401K, disability, onsite Clinic and life insurance programs. These benefits are available to full-time (working 30 or more hours per week on a regular basis) team members after 30 days of employment. At that time, you may also elect coverage for your dependents including: Your spouse. Provided if your spouse is not employed, or if your spouse is employed and their employer does not offer benefits or if the spouse is self-employed.
Your children up to age 26 (coverage ends at the end of the month of which they turn 26).
Paid Time Off (PTO)
FireKeepers offers a generous paid time off plan, based on length of service and employment status.
Full time Team Members do not have to use their PTO for funerals or jury duty. FireKeepers Casino Hotel provides paid leave for these events.
Team Members may receive up to three (3) paid days off to attend to funeral and personal matters surrounding the death of the following family members: Spouse, child, parents, sibling, grandparent, grandchild.
Team Members can receive an annual wage increase based on their individual performance.
Several local businesses participate in offering discounts to Team Members discounts are also enjoyed in-house in the restaurants and gift shop, rooms in the hotel, at the box office and at the Pit Stop.
Discretionary Incentive Program
A potential bonus may be paid out to all eligible Team Members based on the property’s overall performance versus budgeted goals.