Managing Attorney, Employment and Labor - Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Managing Attorney, Employment and Labor
Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Highland, California 92346
Aug 22, 2021
Nov 19, 2021
Type of Position:
Under the guidance of the Vice President, Associate General Counsel, Employment and Labor, the Managing Attorney assures best practices by providing strategic legal direction and effective development, training and oversight of staff attorneys in delivering legal advisory services to the tribal government and its business enterprises on emerging legal and business issues related to all employment and labor law matters. Substantive areas shall include, but are not limited to, employee relations, human resources, labor relations, compensation and benefits, wage and hour issues, application of Federal and Cal/OSHA standards, workers compensation, and employment-related litigation. The Managing Attorney provides strategic support to San Manuel?s outstanding legal/risk/regulatory team and serves as a front-line resource for San Manuel stakeholders, relating to a broad portfolio of legal and risk issues. The Managing Attorney?s responsibilities include providing recommendations to minimize legal and financial exposure to the organization.
The Managing Attorney, Employment and Labor also champions the goals and priorities of the Tribe in a manner that faithfully reflects and upholds the Tribe?s vision, mission and values.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Plays an integral role in helping a highly complex and fast-paced enterprise adhere to its mission and values by ensuring that San Manuel properly maintains compliance with employment and labor laws, including advising business partners to proactively address and resolve potential disputes, while supporting business objectives. Provides specific legal support to tribal government departments and other internal clients, including but not limited to, the Human Resources and Risk Management Departments, on various employment matters, including reasonable accommodations, leaves of absence, fair pay, and wage and hour issues.
2. Assists the VP Associate General Counsel, Employment and Labor, in developing legal strategy and directing junior attorneys and outside counsel on employment and labor-related litigation and pre-litigation matters. Assists in drafting new Human Resources policies or revising/reviewing existing policies to ensure that the organization is legally compliant at all times with respect to its employment practices. Provides counsel and guidance on all legal matters involving and impacting San Manuel?s relationships with labor unions. Provides training to the company's Human Resources team and business leaders on an ongoing basis.
3. Assists in counseling all levels of management and managing staff attorneys in diverse issues related to the tribal government and its business operations, including as to the employment and labor law issues identified in the Summary above. Supervises staff attorneys and assists in managing outside counsel and legal consultants as delegated by the VP Associate General Counsel, including as to staffing, litigation strategy where applicable, work product, and budgets. Assures best practices and timely updates to address emerging legal and business issues related to the tribal government and its business enterprises. Keeps management informed of significant labor and employment decisions, legislation, and regulatory rulings that may affect the enterprise?s business or policies.
4. May lead due diligence efforts, under the direction of an Associate General Counsel or the Deputy General Counsel, in various transactions and analyze strategic and tactical decisions with various departments and divisions. Provides timely legal counsel, information, advice, support, and guidance on California employment compliance and labor matters, including all policies and procedures.
5. Provides counsel and guidance on all legal matters involving the application of ERISA and applicable laws to San Manuel compensation and benefits programs. Provides counsel and guidance on all legal matters involving the application of Federal and CAL OSHA standards to San Manuel and its legal entities, including but not limited to understanding OSHA investigation and litigation processes, proper injury recording and reporting criteria, and strategic assessments of any citations or penalties, including assessing admissibility of evidence in any related litigation.
6. Provides recommendations to the General Council, Business Committee, and government boards and committees on the above areas, as well as matters associated with minimizing legal/financial exposure of the tribal government and its business enterprises. Advises on complex business transactions and relationships, including Merger and Acquisition (M&A), integration and divestiture efforts, as to all employment and labor law-related matters.
7. Assists in participating in state and national attorney work groups on matters related to federal Indian law and related employment and labor law issues, including legislative and litigation matters. Serves on government committees as requested.
8. Analyzes and collaborates with tribal leaders, citizens, and departmental leaders in drafting of tribal laws, regulations, and policies. Devises scalable processes and procedures to help support a rapidly growing enterprise. Deploys legal project management principles and implements key metrics monitoring to drive efficiencies.
9. Supports other areas of the Legal Department as needed to build, mentor and develop legal team members.
10. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of legal workflow.
11. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to public health emergencies, including COVID-19.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization?s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
- Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association accredited law school is required.
- Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of legal work experience is required.
- Prior leadership/management experience or equivalent preferred.
- Experience working with tribal government preferred.
- Experience in employment and labor law preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Concentration in and enthusiasm for employment law counseling and litigation.
- Ability to spot and analyze complex issues and devise practical strategies and solutions.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Superior drafting and negotiating skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with business partners and stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong leadership and people management skills required with good motivational and collaboration emphasis; communicates change effectively, overcomes resistance and builds commitment.
- Must maintain a strict level of confidentiality and act in a manner consistent with all legal and regulatory requirements and in compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Legal Department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening and criminal history background check.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver?s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company?s insurance carrier.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
Why you’ll want to work on our Team:
After 35 years, long time Yaamava Resort & Casino at San Manuel employees still love their jobs
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
It will open the first phase of its $550 million expansion on July 24 including a new high limit room, restaurant and expanded gaming space. A 17-story hotel will open later this year and an events center early next year. The gaming floor will be expanded to more than 6,500 slot machines from 5,000 and 40 more table games will be added, bringing the total number of tables to 135.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!