Vice President, Enterprise Legal Compliance - Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Vice President, Enterprise Legal Compliance
Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Highland, California 92346
Jul 30, 2021
Nov 19, 2021
Type of Position:
Under the direction of the Chief Legal & Compliance Officer, the Vice President Enterprise Legal Compliance works in tandem with senior leaders to provide strategic direction and solution-oriented leadership in the development and execution of a coordinated ethics and risk-based legal compliance program. San Manuel Band of Mission Indians? unwavering commitment to ethics and compliance is reflective of its Mission, Vision and Values as well as its standards of conduct, and is representative of the core values espoused by the Tribe in all it does. The Vice-President Enterprise Legal Compliance is responsible for providing enterprise-wide strategic leadership on ethics and legal compliance issues, driving legal compliance initiatives and projects to completion as well as ensuring continuous implementation and enhancement of San Manuel?s enterprise legal compliance program.
The Vice-President Enterprise Legal Compliance is a proven leader who possesses the executive presence to exercise influence and drive results and who can build relationships through the enterprise organization with San Manuel?s Tribal Leadership, CEO and Executive Leadership Cabinet, and enterprise government and business leaders. The Vice-President Enterprise Legal Compliance leads the Enterprise Legal Compliance Department in proactively anticipating, equitably responding to, and judiciously minimizing all legal compliance risks. To do so effectively, the VP Enterprise Legal Compliance builds trusting relationships across the enterprise so that the Legal Enterprise Compliance function is a respected resource, while empowering Tribal enterprise teams with the right tools and education to carry out legal compliance in their respective areas. A demonstrated track record in legal compliance at a similarly complex enterprise, including a working knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations applicable to San Manuel enterprise activities is instrumental to the candidate?s success.
The VP Enterprise Legal Compliance is responsible for providing proactive, business-focused legal compliance counsel to San Manuel?s enterprise. The VP Enterprise Legal Compliance is skilled at managing multiple competing priorities, has patience and the ability to build strategic relationships and possesses an ever-present point of view towards the future. This position requires a self-motivated, driven, team-oriented individual comfortable working in a dynamic and entrepreneurial tribal government environment engaged in a diverse growth strategy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Works collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders, including San Manuel?s senior leadership and Executive Leadership Cabinet, enterprise compliance resources in the business units, government teams and Tribal Leadership to provide strategic direction for coordination of and implementation of legal compliance initiatives enterprise-wide, provides oversight of enterprise legal compliance activities, and promotes a culture that encourages ethical conduct and legal compliance.
2. Collaborates with enterprise leaders to ensure standards of conduct, internal controls and procedures reflect requirements of applicable government regulation, industry practice, enterprise size, emphasis on areas of past misconduct or non-compliance, effectively reduce likelihood of misconduct and non-compliance, include a strong code of conduct and ethics, employee handbook, and other written policies and procedures. Extends to all subsidiaries, implements financial and accounting controls, and include enforcement emphasis.
3. Develops and implements a legal compliance program that sets expectations for Tribal Leadership and senior leadership, develops substantive metrics and milestones, and creates a multi-year strategic vision and resource plan for the program. Coordinates with internal team of compliance champions to promote and support the program, includes enterprise-wide initial and periodic risk assessments to identify legal compliance risks; effectively implements and communicates compliance policies; develops and implements legal compliance training; manages reporting mechanisms; implements enforcement tools, including legal compliance incentives, enforcement mechanisms, and disciplinary measures. Oversees compliance investigations; coordinates third party due diligence, oversees legal compliance audits, and update of Tribal Leadership and senior leadership through annual reports on the status of legal compliance throughout the enterprise.
4. Ensures understanding of external laws and regulations as well as organization?s internal standards and procedures through annual training of employees on the laws and policies applicable to them, activities prohibited under applicable laws and policies, ways to recognize and report violations, penalties and consequences resulting from violations, including monitoring training participation and testing on comprehension.
5. Develops and trains enterprise on effective internal reporting mechanisms that encourage communication between employees and management, allows for reporting of sensitive matters outside normal supervisory channels, provides management with valuable information to reduce risk and liability for the enterprise, and effectively prohibit retaliatory conduct.
6. Develops and implements strategic vision for incentives and discipline to promote and enforce legal compliance by influencing and guiding employee conduct, including job descriptions incorporating legal compliance responsibilities, performance goals and metrics to reinforce legally compliant behavior, incentives for meeting legal compliance objectives, articulation of clear and specific disciplinary policies for non-compliance, and internal coordination to administer discipline for non-compliance.
7. Implements processes for investigating and remediating misconduct, including responding to potential or actual non-compliance, analyzing and remediating root causes of misconduct, including stopping the misconduct, prohibiting retaliation against reporter, investigating the alleged misconduct, cooperating with enforcement agencies where applicable, disciplining wrongdoers, ensuring completion of corrective actions and reporting to leadership and senior leadership as applicable.
8. Collaborates in implementing legal compliance requirements to oversee enterprises? third-party relationships, including conducting risk-based due diligence of third parties, obtaining legal compliance commitments from vendors and third parties, and developing warning and termination standards for third parties who fail to conform to legal compliance standards.
9. Develops processes to monitor programs, including self-assessments using analyses of compliance trends within the enterprise such as hotline statistics, team member feedback, and reviews of high-risk areas. Identifies compliance gaps where standards have not been fully understood, implemented, programmed or if operational weaknesses are apparent. Proactively audits the program, reports monitoring and audit results, and updates program as necessary.
10. Undertakes ongoing re-assessment of enterprise legal risk, including analyzing enterprise business activities to update the risk profile. Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement by evaluating program audit results, compliance reports, changes to applicable law (including at tribal and local level), recent litigation and claims, results of benchmarking against the practices of comparable organizations, evolving industry standards, new industry enforcement trends, and new regulatory guidance on legal compliance programming. Updates legal compliance program to address the updated risk profile, and coordinates legal compliance risk assessment with the enterprise risk management program.
11. Integrates mergers and acquisitions through post-acquisition risk assessment and audit of acquired targets, including review of acquired targets? legal compliance program, high risk business practices to determine legal compliance risks, contracts, integration of targets into organization?s internal controls including code of conduct, training of targets? employees, and expansion of legal compliance program where needed to meet growth needs.
12. Develops and maintains thorough documentation of legal compliance measures and retention of supporting materials, legal compliance activities of senior management, training sessions and follow-up communications, due diligence activities, legal compliance-related reports and responses to reports, internal investigations, remedial actions, disciplinary measures, and compliance program reviews and continuous improvement actions.
13. Efficiently manages a small team of direct reports through effective talent assessment, development, coaching, and mentoring, effective project management processes, succession planning through effective talent assessment and resource planning, as well as provides general oversight and direction to related compliance teams enterprise-wide.
14. Collaborates on implementation and oversight of privacy, information management and security programs, as well as provides legal compliance support on enterprise privacy, data security, artificial intelligence and related initiatives.
15. Develops and manages budgets for delivery of legal enterprise compliance services to support above activities, including assessment of available technology and proper allocation of in-house and outside legal compliance resources to deliver legal compliance services efficiently.
16. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to any public health emergency.
17. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
The VP Enterprise Legal Compliance is responsible for managing legal and non-legal personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization?s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
- Juris Doctorate is required
- Minimum of ten (10) years in legal compliance field.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Experience working with tribal governments is preferred.
- Extensive working knowledge of Federal and State law.
- Demonstrates initiative and accountability to achieve results in order to attain individual and organizational goals.
- Demonstrated skills in crafting legal compliance solutions in novel ways, providing practical advice and properly balancing risks and business reward.
- Must be a principled and dynamic thought leader who propels the enterprise forward as a front-runner in the application and oversight of legal compliance standards.
- Strong organizational skills, with an ability to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-moving, quickly changing environment, both collaborating as a team and working independently.
- Must have essential attributes such as the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, be open to change and ambiguity, have creative thinking and strong problem-solving skills, and possess an ownership attitude for projects and strategic visioning.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver?s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company?s insurance carrier.
- Must be an active member in good standing of the State Bar of California.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
Why you’ll want to work on our Team:
After 35 years, long time Yaamava Resort & Casino at San Manuel employees still love their jobs
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
It will open the first phase of its $550 million expansion on July 24 including a new high limit room, restaurant and expanded gaming space. A 17-story hotel will open later this year and an events center early next year. The gaming floor will be expanded to more than 6,500 slot machines from 5,000 and 40 more table games will be added, bringing the total number of tables to 135.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!