Risk Manager - Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Highland, California 92346
Jul 30, 2021
Nov 19, 2021
Type of Position:
Reporting to the Director of Risk Management, the Risk Manager works across businesses and departments to educate, influence, support risk management activities and key business decisions, while providing subject matter expertise on risk management and insurance practices. The Risk Manager and his/her team''s effort is to support the implementation of all risk management programs by providing hands-on research and analytical support and communicate risk policies and processes for the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians (SMBMI). The Risk Manager collaborates with the Director for the development, implementation and oversight of risk management programs to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks.
The Risk Manager also collaborates, initiates, and supports opportunities with other functions by championing the goals and priorities of the Tribe in a manner that faithfully reflects and upholds the Tribes vision, mission and values.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provides high-level support to the Director of Risk Management and specialized expertise in all areas of the risk management and claims management functions.
2. Assists in the development of SMBMI?s risk management strategy and establishes the creation of programs to identify, measure, monitor, and control risks by providing timely and accurate information. Works directly with the Director of Risk Management to fulfill the department?s strategic vision by presenting business plans to mitigate exposures and improve business operations.
3. Supports the Risk Management team by actively collaborating across all departments to identify, manage and mitigate areas of operational risk that might arise from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems, or external events.
4. Ensures ongoing and adequate monitoring, testing, and reporting of operational risk to all stakeholders.
5. Evaluates the effectiveness of risk management programs or initiatives to ensure that continuous improvement in organizational performance is promoted.
6. Embraces and embeds a risk culture to promote transparency and accountability for inherent risk and controls.
7. Manages and administers relationships with external vendors, including but not limited to insurance brokers, third party claim adjusters, underwriters, etc.
8. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to public health emergencies.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization?s policies and applicable laws. Potential responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
- Bachelor?s degree in Risk Management, Business Administration, Finance and/or related field is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive and relevant experience in the Risk Management area or domain with at least three (3) years in a Risk Management leadership role.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Well-developed computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, RMIS and PowerPoint software is required.
- Experience in designing policy requirements, policy negotiations, policy review, etc.
- Experience identifying and articulating complex operational risk issues.
- Must understand and be able to implement best practices in the industry; previous experience with a "six sigma compliant" organization is beneficial.
- Strong leadership and people management skills required with good motivational and collaboration emphasis; communicates change effectively, overcomes resistance and builds commitment.
- This position requires an individual with impeccable communication skills. Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Must be personable and professional, collaborative, capable of using utmost discretion in communication.
- Must possess a high energy level and strong work ethic with a commitment to continuous improvement in a dynamic and changing environment that strives to exceed expectations.
- This person must be a risk thought leader, team-oriented, hard-working and able to concurrently manage a large number of diverse and often complex issues and/or projects.
- Strong relationship management and collaboration skills.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Highly developed analytical skills demonstrated through solid business acumen.
- Strategic thinking and the ability to engage and influence senior and executive management across regional and functional lines.
- Must also maintain a strict level of confidentiality and act in a manner consistent with all legal and regulatory requirements and in compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver?s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company?s insurance carrier.
- Advanced certifications such as ARM, CPCU, CRM and/or RIMS-CRMP preferred.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
Why you’ll want to work on our Team:
After 35 years, long time Yaamava Resort & Casino at San Manuel employees still love their jobs
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
It will open the first phase of its $550 million expansion on July 24 including a new high limit room, restaurant and expanded gaming space. A 17-story hotel will open later this year and an events center early next year. The gaming floor will be expanded to more than 6,500 slot machines from 5,000 and 40 more table games will be added, bringing the total number of tables to 135.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!