Program Officer - San Manuel Casino
San Manuel Casino
Highland, California 92346
Jun 03, 2021
Aug 26, 2021
Type of Position:
Community & Government Relations
The Strategic Philanthropy department of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians (the Tribe) executes on the mandates of the Tribe, giving locally, regionally and nationally in both programmatic and operational capacities. The Tribe is active in donating funds for a variety of projects in the California Inland Empire region, as well as nationally for qualified Native American non-profits and other institutions. Qualified groups receive support from the Tribe in the way of monetary donations for education, cultural, social, and economic projects to benefit the common good of the communities in which they live and work.
Under the direction of the Strategic Philanthropy Manager, the Program Officer is responsible for formulating, developing, executing on the Tribe’s strategic philanthropy strategy. This includes convening various organizations and stakeholders that affect change and managing a grant-making portfolio, which includes reviewing grant requests, conducting site visits, evaluating grantee capacity for success and judging for the appropriate fit with the Tribe’s funding criteria. The Program Officer is key to this work to establish, secure, and maintain effective working relationships with grantees, stakeholders and other members of the San Manuel team. Scope of work also requires the Program Officer to support other Tribal and Enterprise departments with key initiatives that support the overall Tribal government and business objectives of the Tribe.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Works with grantees to clarify the Tribe’s giving priorities and helps improve the quality of proposals. Evaluates and provides feedback to applicants on the feasibility and clarity of proposed budgets, staffing/work plans, and anticipated project outcomes as related to proposal goals and organizational capacity. Produces grant agreements, executive progress reports, payment requests and documentation of communications with grantees and potential grantees in coordination with the Manager of Strategic Philanthropy. Ensures recipients meet grant agreement requirements, timing and contingencies. Provides regular “snapshot’ reports to Vice Presidents of Tribal Brand Marketing and Strategic Philanthropy Manager with updates on program work, proposal review and problematic grants.
2. Cultivates, develops and maintains relationships with existing and prospective community partners, key stakeholders and funders, as required. Cultivates knowledge of trends in philanthropy, the nonprofit sector, and developments in the Tribe’s focus areas of giving. Incorporates this knowledge throughout interactions internally and externally for the Tribe and enterprise.
3. Serves as an informal advisor and thought-partner to applicants, grant recipients and community partners to strengthen their planning and implementation efforts. Represents the Tribe in a manner that represents the Tribe’s legacy and well-respected leadership position, in addition to also representing the Tribe at conferences and community meetings, with occasional speaking roles, as required. Facilitate public relations activities with Strategic Communications, the San Manuel Business Committee, and other internal stakeholders to maximize recognition opportunities for the Tribe. Networks with external stakeholders to bring forward new strategic opportunities for the tribe and fosters working relationships among non-profits, foundations and other funders who can be great partners for the Tribe.
4. Monitors and manages active grants; reviews and tracks grantee requirements through Grant Usage reports; and provides feedback and/or technical assistance to organizations as appropriate.
5. Assists with the development and implementation of various Philanthropic strategies that advance San Manuel’s priorities in various areas such as education, health, community development, and other cultural projects.
6. Connects applicants, grant recipients and community partners to training, technical assistance, marketing and capacity building opportunities and with other funders.
7. Conducts initial screening and prioritizing of new proposals in consultation with the Manager of Strategic Philanthropy.
8. Maintains current information about local, regional and national activities related to San Manuel’s grant-making interests and areas of intersection with other program work.
9. Creates evaluation frameworks and tracking mechanisms to monitor the progress of grantee organizations and integrate knowledge from the grant-making experience back into program activities.
10. Develops and carefully monitors timelines for various projects, ensuring that the necessary information is gathered, meetings are held, vetting takes place so that high-quality projects are delivered in an efficient and timely way.
11. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration or Communications and/or related field required.
- Minimum three (3) years of philanthropy and grant making experience required.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Advanced level experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Strong leadership and people management skills required with good motivational and collaboration emphasis; communicates change effectively, overcomes resistance and builds commitment.
- Ability to delegate, multi-task, lead and prioritize effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Must maintain a strict level of confidentiality and act in a manner consistent with all legal and regulatory requirements and in compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Must be personable and professional, capable of using caution and discretion in communication.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the companys insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law. As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
San Manuel Casino
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
San Manuel Casino is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
It will open the first phase of its $550 million expansion on July 24 including a new high limit room, restaurant and expanded gaming space. A 17-story hotel will open later this year and an events center early next year. The gaming floor will be expanded to more than 6,500 slot machines from 5,000 and 40 more table games will be added, bringing the total number of tables to 135.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!