Senior Vice President, Accounting - Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Senior Vice President, Accounting
Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Highland, California 92346
Apr 24, 2021
Nov 21, 2021
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Senior Vice President, Accounting is responsible for overseeing enterprise accounting activities and functions, including accounting, audits, internal financial controls, and effectively managing significant interactions and communications with other enterprise financial functions. This position is also responsible for establishing the overall direction and strategic initiatives for the accounting team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Oversees direct reports who manage and ensure satisfaction of the Tribe?s tax obligations and compliance under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) including Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Federal and/or State Grants including A133 audit requirements.
2. Oversees the effective and efficient relationships with external auditors, as well as other financial relationships such as rating agencies, regulatory organizations, and financial institutions.
3. Ensures all financial statements and reports are prepared and presented in a timely manner including income statements, balance sheets, and cash-flow statements in accordance with GAAP and pro forma.
4. Oversees the performance of the accounting team to ensure the successful and timely completion of the month-end close process for the enterprise.
5. Oversees the direction and strategy for the department, including driving continuous improvement at all levels of the enterprise.
6. Ensures that effective internal controls are maintained in accordance with the minimum internal controls standards adopted by the San Manuel Gaming Commission and the National Indian Gaming Commission.
7. Contributes to the overall organizational planning and policy making efforts of the Tribe and the determination of its goals, objectives and strategies as a member of the senior leadership team.
8. Establishes and continuously reviews enterprise wide financial policies and procedures and internal controls over financial reports. Ensures design and execution of controls are operating effectively and are in compliance.
9. Identifies and implements process improvements, including system automation and simplification initiatives.
10. Establishes strong relationship with Audit Committee.
11. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to public health emergencies.
12. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization?s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Makes hiring decisions and designs individual development plans with succession planning in mind for all key roles.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
Bachelor?s degree in Accounting or Business Administration from and accredited college or university is required.
Master?s degree in Business Administration (MBA) is preferred.
Minimum of twenty (20) years of professional accounting experience
Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in demonstrated progressive responsible financial leadership roles. Casino accounting experience is preferred.
Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
Advanced knowledge of GAAP and technical accounting expertise is required.
Demonstrated ability to lead a fast-paced team with a strategic big picture mindset.
Must possess strong strategic and analytical skills combined with solid business and financial acumen.
Must be a dynamic and effective leader with the ability to lead, develop, mentor, and motivate team members to ensure that department goals, objectives, milestones, and deliverables are achieved.
Must have strong presentation skills and ability to simplify complex concepts for non-accounting audience, as needed.
Ability to provide thoughtful, strategic insights in a clear and concise manner.
Personal/professional integrity and proven discretion in handling confidential information.
Expertise in applying and managing accounting procedures for monitoring, analyzing and reporting on construction and real estate development projects. Experience in identifying, structuring, negotiating and concluding construction and permanent financing as opportunities may require.
Willingness to collaborate with a broad range of functional groups to understand their business processes, concerns, and requirements.
At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver?s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company?s insurance carrier.
Current license and in good standing as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is required.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
Why you’ll want to work on our Team:
After 35 years, long time Yaamava Resort & Casino at San Manuel employees still love their jobs
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
It will open the first phase of its $550 million expansion on July 24 including a new high limit room, restaurant and expanded gaming space. A 17-story hotel will open later this year and an events center early next year. The gaming floor will be expanded to more than 6,500 slot machines from 5,000 and 40 more table games will be added, bringing the total number of tables to 135.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!