Controller - Santa Ana Star Casino Hotel
Santa Ana Star Casino Hotel
Bernalillo, New Mexico 87004
Apr 20, 2021
Jun 25, 2021
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
The Controller is responsible for the overall financial responsibility of the Santa Ana Star Casino Operation. The Controller is responsible for the proper recording and documentation of all receipts and disbursements, preparation and timely reporting of periodic financial information, and all financial reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
The Controller manages the daily operation and administration of the Accounting Department in accordance with management’s directives.
- Maintains and safeguards all accounting records, gaming documents, Title 31 logs and reports, and financial reports.
- Assists independent auditors and internal auditors as required.
- Ensures proper accountability for all fixed assets.
- Manages accounting department employees including hiring; training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraises performance; rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves problems; and releasing employees to ensure the accounting team has the sufficient knowledge to perform assigned duties of the department.
- Ensures reconciliation of all bank accounts and funds.
- Reviews accounting entries as needed to ensure that all general ledger account balances are current and accurate at the end of the month.
- Reviews and updates month-end accrual entries for accuracy
- Reviews and updates reconciliation schedules for accrual accounts.
- Manages the cash flow to maximize investment income
- Reviews receipts and disbursements to determine cash position, prepares necessary journal entries, and cash transfers.
- Maintains good supplier relations
- Maintains an excellent credit rating for the Casino through effective and efficient accounting policies and procedures.
- Determines cash requirements for daily funding and disbursement needs.
- Ensures proper and accurate completion, timely submission, and proper file maintenance of reports sent to the Internal Revenue Service for Title 31, Income Tax withholding, Tip reporting, and Payroll and Vendor information forms including final approval authority.
- Provides information regarding correct accounting policy, procedures and proper internal accounting controls to Casino employees.
- Formulates, implements, and enforces policies and procedures for the accounting department.
- Prepares departmental budgets and reviews financial results on a monthly basis, investigating departures from budget.
- Prepares and reviews all financial statements, management reports, related journals.
- Prepares, maintains and monitors a formula, specifying the minimum bankroll requirements for the Casino, which is the amount of cash or cash equivalents sufficient to reasonably protect the Casino’s patrons against defaults in gaming debts owed by the Casino.
- Investigates all material cash variances and gaming revenue statistical variances, assuring proper documentation is prepared and retained on file.
- Periodically performs surprise counts of various Casino operating banks, funds and inventory.
- Performs other duties as assigned
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
- Preference is given to qualified Santa Tribal Members.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or related field. Will substitute experience on a year for year basis.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience as a Controller, or other similar position required.
- Must have knowledge of casino operations and a solid business background.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to give a professional and effective presentation.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must have advanced Computer capabilities.
- 10-key ability preferred.
- Must have knowledge of spreadsheet software and word processing software with use of Microsoft products including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access preferred.
- Must have knowledge of financial software systems with use of Infinium software preferred.
- Must have knowledge of gaming software systems with use of IGT software preferred.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Pueblo of Santa Ana Gaming and Regulatory Commission key gaming license.
Essential Mental Functions
The essential mental functions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skill required.
- Proven ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Maintain a strict level of confidentiality regarding company information.
- Must be a detail oriented, organized individual with the ability to multi-task.
- Must have excellent problem solving abilities.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations in a professional manner.
- Must be a Team Player.
- Must have strong mathematical skills.
Essential Physical Functions
The essential physical functions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of the position, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, turn, use hands and fingers to grasp, handle, and feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
- Must be able to work various hours as needed including weekends and holidays.
- Must present self in a well-groomed, professional appearance.The employee must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to work at a fast pace.
- Must be able to handle stress effectively.
- Must be able to maneuver around the office and the facility as needed to collect and distribute all necessary documents.
- Must be able to sit for a long duration of time.
- Physical ability to safely perform the essential job functions of the position.
- Copiers, Fax Machines, and other traditional office equipment as required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employee duties are performed indoors in a climate controlled and second-hand smoke-filled environment.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume or use the Email Employer button. Please also complete our online Company Employment Application.
Santa Ana Star Casino Hotel
54 Jemez Canyon Dam Road
Bernalillo, NM 87004
Santa Ana Star Casino Hotel is located just minutes north of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. The Star offers a Vegas-style casino experience with an infusion of New Mexican charm. It was the first Indian casino to operate in New Mexico, opening its doors in 1993.
Growing from only 64 slot machines, “The Star” features a 204 room hotel and a casino with over 1,600 machines independently certified as the “Loosest Slots in New Mexico” by Strictly Slots® Magazine, as well as video poker games, 26 table games, and live-action poker.
Although gamers must be at least 21 years old, the entire family can enjoy other amenities at The Star. Starlight Lanes is a traditional bowling alley with an “out-of-this-world” twist. It contains 36 state-of-the-art lanes available to league members and casual bowlers, alike.
We recognize that people are our most important asset.
Our goal is to have every guest leave with a smile.
Santa Ana Star needs people who take pride in a job well done.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(K), free meal program, credit union, and PTO.
Extensive background investigation and pre-employment drug test are required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer