Steward Supervisor (West Valley) - Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Steward Supervisor (West Valley)
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Glendale, Arizona 85305
Apr 13, 2021
Aug 26, 2021
Type of Position:
Food and Beverage
Under direct supervision of the Executive Steward, the Steward Supervisor manages the kitchen stewarding operations and staff on assigned shift. Areas of responsibilities include dish room operations, night cleaning, receiving and storing orders, back dock cleaning and maintenance, banquet plating and food running.
Works to continually improve guest and team member satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Responsible for total maintenance and sanitation in all food production service areas; Ensure all food and beverage outlets have sufficient equipment to perform adequately. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and health standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all stewarding and kitchen maintenance operations on assigned shift. This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures compliance with all Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise policies and procedures, including Internal Controls (ICs).
- Manages the stewarding function in all kitchen areas to promote overall cleanliness, sanitation and compliance with state and local health regulations. Stewarding functions include setting up work stations, cleanliness and storage of dishes, filling dish machines, ensuring correct chemical levels, maintaining efficient traffic patterns in kitchen, etc.
- Controls and analyzes cost, breakage, quality of support provided to all areas, condition and cleanliness of equipment, and guest satisfaction.
- Educates stewards on current safety and sanitation issues to ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations. Informs management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or resort assets. Ensure that equipment is prepared and operational for the following shift’s work.
- Orders and manages the par stocks of all materials and equipment need for areas of responsibility.
- Alert Executive Steward of potentially serious issues.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Warehouse supervisors, Restaurant chefs, F&B Mangers, & Bar Managers.
- May assist with other duties as needed which may include but is not limited to providing assistance with food dish-up, completing set up sheets, etc.
- Attend all necessary training meetings.
- Provides guidance and direction to stewarding team on assigned shift.
- Provides and supports on brand service behaviors that are prepared to wow for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, team members, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Works to meet or exceed goals provided by Executive Steward including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Understands stewarding team members’ positions well enough to perform duties in team members' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Ensures team members are treated fairly and equitably.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensures enterprise and department policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures compliance with all food handling and sanitation standards.
- Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
- Follows proper handling and temperature standards of all food products. Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Lead steward team members in the maintenance of kitchen equipment, sanitation, organization, and cleaning.
- Demonstrates new techniques and equipment to staff.
- Uses enterprise computer systems in daily operations to meet goals and maintain standards.
- Works with food and beverage managers & Chefs and keeps them informed of issues as they arise.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Demonstrate Desert Diamond Casino “On Brand” attitude towards team members & guest at all times.
- Displays, supports and reinforces Desert Diamond Casino’s Spirit of Service Standards.
- Model the company standards and lead by example.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED; plus two years’ experience in Stewarding in a large, multi-outlet, Casino, Hotel, or Resort; one year supervisory experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two year degree in culinary, hospitality, sanitation, or related field preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications
- Skilled in managing a diverse and demanding multi-lingual workforce.
- Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Knowledge of FDA health Code and how to apply it in daily practice.
- Knowledge of cleaning and sanitation best practices for hotels and restaurants.
- Knowledge of scheduling techniques and ability to apply to control labor costs.
- Ability to obtain a Food Handlers card.
- Ability to obtain TIPS certification.
- Ability to maintain open and positive two way communication with food and beverage management and other departments.
- Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control and safety standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure, making decisions in high stress situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, good working knowledge of Microsoft office.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam and Casino setting with exposure to secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evenings, graveyards, holidays and/or weekend work are required.
Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
To be considered for this position you must complete our Employment Application. Please click on Apply Now and you'll be redirected to our online form.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Monday–Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (MST)
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment offers a convenient, memorable entertainment experience in Tucson, Sahuarita, Why and Glendale, Arizona. Amenities include unmatched gaming options, fine dining, the Monsoon Nightclub and world-class sporting events, music concerts and comedy sets at the Diamond Center. Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment also offers one of the region's finest convention centers and high-tech meeting facilities.
An enterprise of the Tohono O’odham Nation, Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment has been in the gaming and entertainment business for almost 30 years, beginning in 1985 with the opening of Papago Bingo in the Tucson area.
In 1993, the first Desert Diamond Casino was opened on Nogales Highway. Six years later, a smaller facility opened in Why, Arizona. The third Desert Diamond Casino near Sahuarita was opened in 2001. In 2007, the original casino on Nogales Highway was replaced with a new casino, hotel and convention center complex. Our newest property, Desert Diamond Casino – West Valley opened in late 2015 and has quickly become one of the Phoenix metropolitan area’s hottest spots.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment West Valley - located in Glendale, Arizona offers a 35,000 sq. ft. Class 2 casino with bingo-style slot machines. The property opened in February 2020, offering more than 1,100 slot machines, 380 bingo seats, 36 poker-style tables, and 48 blackjack-style tables.
Food and beverage-wise, the casino offers A massive bar with a second-story mezzanine overlooking the casino floor, a food court, Nineteen 86 Steakhouse, Edge Bar and Nuovo Giorno Italian Bistro.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Tucson offers over 1,000 slots, a poker room with 8 poker tables and the area's most competitive tournaments, 24 table games including live blackjack, high-stakes bingo and fabulous keno.The hotel located only minutes from the Tucson International Airport includes complimentary wireless internet access, a heated outdoor pool, jetted hydro-spa, patio seating with a fire pit, exercise facilities, coffee bar and lounge.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Sahuarita offers hundreds of slots and live blackjack tables. Food & Beverage venues include three restaurants - the Agave Restaurant offering fine dining, the Diamond Buffet and the Diamond Grill, as well as the two cocktail lounges.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Why is the perfect rest stop for travelers on their way to Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) or making the trek to western Arizona. Guests can play slots at the self-service gas station and fully stocked convenience store.