Controller - Sandia Resort & Casino
Sandia Resort & Casino
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87113
Apr 23, 2021
Nov 21, 2021
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
Provides direction, management, and leadership in the administrative, business planning, accounting, budgeting, and automation efforts of Sandia Resort & Casino, Bien Mur Market Center, Sandia Lakes, and Bien Mur Travel Center operations departments (referred to as the “Enterprises”). Leads, directs, and manages the Accounting department in order to produce accurate, timely and relevant financial information for the Enterprises.
Supervised by the Director of Finance. Supervises the Assistant Controller, Payroll Manager, Revenue Audit Manager, & Staff Accountant- (Construction, Contracts and Fixed Assets).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals in accordance with regulations, company goals and GAAP.
- Manages and coordinates the financial operations of the organization, to include the development and administration of capital and operating budgets and expenditures, and the establishment and management of financial accounting control systems.
- Monitors and maintains Accounting management information systems, both manual and computerized.
- Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes hiring, work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance; provides guidance and feedback for assigned staff.
- Reviews and analyzes month end General Leger reconciliation and documentation.
- Produces financial statement analysis reports of trends and budget variances.
- Ensures compliance with bank notes and other debt instruments.
- Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and safe operation of all Accounting department areas.
- Prepares financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and informational reports; presents recommendations for changes related to the operational divisions.
- Ensures accounting processes financial reports are in compliance with GAAP.
- Meets and communicates with Department Managers and Directors in order to provide support, reports, and general assistant in regards to their financials.
- Assists Director of Finance in the formulation, compilation, and presentation of budgets.
- Assists Director of Finance in financial and regulatory audits.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of Resort and Casino operations, procedures, and industry standards.
- Ensures compliance with Tribal, Federal and State reporting requirements.
- Performs additional duties as assigned and necessary.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge of customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial operating principles, practices, and procedures within area of business specialty.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to plan, implement, and administer financial information and control systems.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Excellent computer skills, especially in spreadsheets and accounting software.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to negotiate and manage contractual arrangements.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse organization.
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Six (6) years’ experience in an accounting, finance, or related field including four (4) years in a management and/or administration capacity of an operational or accounting department.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- CPA License.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the required Gaming License.
- Will require a post-offer, pre-employment and random drug screening.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Salary: $97,215.00 – $131,726.00 Annually
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Sandia Resort and Casino
30 Rainbow Road NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Phone: (800) 526-9366
The Sandia Resort and Casino is situated on the Northeast corner of Interstate 25 and Tramway Road in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Since it first opened in 1994, The Sandia Resort and Casino has undergone extensive developments to its property to provide a truly all-inclusive and luxurious experience for visitors.
Owned and operated by the Pueblo of Sandia, it was the very first Indian casino in New Mexico at its opening. Now there are approximately 25 tribal casinos in the state, including Sandia.
The goal was to create an upscale experience that was close to home for New Mexicans, while encompassing Southwestern pride and culture for out-of-state visitors. With friendly customer service and opulent amenities, this goal was not only realized, it made Sandia Resort & Casino the best place for entertainment in the state.
The Vegas-style casino floor offers 140,000 square feet of your favorite games, including more than 2,300 slots, Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, Mini Baccarat, Pai Gow Poker, Three Card Poker, Bingo, Live Keno, and the state's largest non-smoking Poker room.
In 2021, Sandia Resort and Casino in Albuquerque, New Mexico, expanded its high limit gaming area; added a new Governor's Room, and a state-of-the-art sports bar with Class II gaming and a full menu. It features numerous big-screen TVs and an outside wrap-around deck with views of the Sandia Mountains and the city. The newly constructed entertainment space is about 50,000 square feet.
Sandia also added the Bien Shur Rooftop Restaurant & Lounge and renovated the hotel.
This is only the tip of the iceberg in regards to all that Sandia Casino has to offer. With the addition of the hotel in 2005, and another expansion in 2014 to add the golf pavilion and parking garage, Sandia Resort & Casino slowly became much more than just a place to game.
Visitors from all over the nation can now get lost in the lights and sounds of the casino floor, relax at the luxurious Green Reed Spa, dive into the outdoor pool, tee off on the 18-hole championship golf course, listen to their favorite singer at the amphitheater, dine at any of the numerous restaurants, bars, and lounges, get married to their best friend, and spend the night in one of the grand, luxury suites – all available onsite.
Come say hello to New Mexico’s best place to play – Sandia Resort & Casino!