Deputy Chief of Staff - Treasurer - San Manuel Casino
Deputy Chief of Staff - Treasurer
San Manuel Casino
Highland, California 92346
Feb 15, 2021
Mar 28, 2021
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Treasurer will maximize the Treasurer’s effectiveness and efficiency. In this hands-on role, the Deputy leads administrative efforts in support of operational activities stemming from day to day enterprise demands, investments, and other standard reporting, in order to support the continued rapid enterprise growth in respect to the Tribe and advancement of
“Tribe First, Tribe Led” culture. For this role, one must possess the ability to manage complex assignments seamlessly and critically, by serving as a trusted sounding board to the Chief of Staff (COS) through thoughtful counsel as needed, in support of the Treasurer. A successful Deputy offers a combination of astute awareness, foresight, focus and flexibility. Working in collaboration with the COS, the Deputy will directly capture, catalogue, analyze and disseminate key information to facilitate communication to achieve the Treasure’s desired outcomes on key Tribal strategies and initiatives. The ideal candidate will be adept at showing situational adaptability, planning, and aligning of complex schedules and strong diplomatic interpersonal skills. The Deputy Chief of Staff Treasurer collaborates, initiates, and supports opportunities with other functions by championing the goals and priorities of the Tribe in a manner that faithfully reflects and upholds the Tribes vision, mission and values and “Tribe First, Tribe Led” mindset.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Liaises and coordinates with key stakeholders by focusing on prioritizing time, sustaining information flow, and calibrating to ensure decision-making processes are more effective, including key strategic priorities.
2. Prioritizes and maps calendar/time commitments against broader priorities, mapping stakeholder network and developing engagement plan against strategic priorities, and drafting responses as necessary by filtering external information coming into the Treasurer’s office to reinforce the achievement of key milestone completions in a timely manner.
3. Keeps abreast of Tribal initiatives by serving as an air traffic controller or “first alert system” by regularly providing updates and apprising urgent matters and management’s plans of action to resolve for the Treasurer by working closely with the Administrative Assistant to the Treasurer and Chief of Staff.
4. Supports the growth pillar by coordinating efforts between different committees, boards and working groups.
5. Drafts presentations and briefs for meetings and/or engagements with key internal and external stakeholders, while remaining informed of any upcoming commitments and obligations for the Treasurer.
6. Creates first drafts of emails, letters, talking points, etc. for the Treasurer, coordinates special projects, supports Board and/or committee material preparation, and develops engagement plan with financial partners.
7. Interprets, manages, and analyzes research data in order to provide concise and holistic results that enables the Treasure to formulate an opinion.
8. Attends meetings with the Treasurer and captures major takeaways, serving as an effective liaison by ensuring action items from the meeting are executed, in addition to identifying and connecting work streams that may remain within silos. Works closely with the communications team to ensure external engagements reflect the Treasurer’s strategic priorities, and Tribes mission, vision and values.
9. Communicates with other DCOS and administrative staff to ensure visibility and collaboration of Treasurers priorities.
10. Ensures and facilitates the Treasurer’s preparedness in advance of their attendance and participation for meetings, community functions and special events by integrating their preferences, values, individual style and leadership roles to ensure that the meeting objectives are realistic, the team is well-prepared, and that action items/ next steps are documented and tracked.
11. Assumes other responsibilities, duties, tasks and assignments that contribute to the mitigation or response to public health emergencies.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- High School Diploma of GED required.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant career level experience including at least five (5) years of management experience in complex government organizations or commercial enterprises; experience in Tribal environment preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Experienced at effectively working with board and executive level colleagues on assignments of highly delicate and demanding natures, requiring great skill.
- Possesses strategic agility by anticipating future consequences and trends accurately, in addition to articulating credible visions of possibility and likelihoods.
- Possesses extensive knowledge and understanding of financial touch points and strong financial business acumen.
- Experienced analyzing trends and providing conclusions, recommendations and summaries for executives.
- Focuses on delivering results and continuous improvement beyond expectations through their deep understanding of operational and process improvements that impact the quality and execution of projects by setting new goals for himself/herself and the team.
- Ability to identify and articulate the necessary processes to achieve projects efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrates the ability to plan and prioritize objectives and goals by organizing work appropriately to meet and exceed goals through strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions.
- Ability to think ahead and detect problems or inefficiencies before they arise.
- Demonstrates cross-functional awareness to successfully partner and build constructive and effective relationships with internal stakeholders in all disciplines, with an ability to maneuver through challenging situations.
- Ability to present ideas and directions that lead others to action.
- Displays exceptional listening written, and oral communication skills across all mediums and displays a highest level of accountability and the ability to diplomatically give and receive constructive criticism.
- Holds self and others to the highest standards of integrity, selflessness, sound judgment and performance.
- Empowers staff by establishing a work environment filled with trust and respect.
- Fosters and models the way for a positive, “roll-up-your-sleeves” team player mindset.
- Adapts quickly and professionally to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment and remains accessible and responsive to Business Committee members, including off hours as needed.
- Possesses a solid track record of collaborative and inspirational leadership with the ability to influence others into action and to think creatively about solutions.
- Holds expert-level project management skills with a strong attention to detail, effective time management, prioritization, benchmarking, and troubleshooting.
- Possesses emotional stability, resilience, superior interpersonal skills with professional awareness and nimbleness to adapt to personalities and preferences.
- Treats confidential information with caution, discretion and tact.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
San Manuel Casino
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
San Manuel Casino is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!