Facilities HVAC / Electrical Engineer - Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel / Leelanau Sands
Facilities HVAC / Electrical Engineer
Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel / Leelanau Sands
Williamsburg, Michigan 49690
Feb 18, 2021
Mar 18, 2021
Type of Position:
The Facilities HVAC / Electrical Engineer oversees the installation, diagnosis, repair, rehabilitation and preventative and predictive maintenance of all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, HVAC systems and related equipment of the casino and hotel's physical plant. Incumbent will ensure that all work is done in accordance with engineering specifications, code regulations, and safety requirements utilizing recognized and standardized methods and practices; and ultimately that system knowledge is passed onto others by way of an Apprenticeship or formal program.
Essential Job Functions
- Inspect all physical plant's systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes.
- Diagnose/test malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components using test equipment such as ohmmeters, battery and buzzer, and oscilloscopes.
- Assemble, install, test, and maintain all equipment and systems, apparatus, and fixtures using hand and/or power tools.
- Coordinates all scheduled equipment/system maintenance procedures and maintains documentation of procedures. Perform repair, replacement and preventative maintenance work.
- Monitors HVAC controls via computer. Adjust systems as required for proper HVAC conditions.
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring by preparing sketches showing exact locations, or by following existing diagrams and blueprints. Special attention required to reduce waste materials, providing access for future maintenance and to avoid unsightly, hazardous, and unreliable wiring.
- Maintain current licensing and/or certifications (Master's Electrician, Plumber, HVAC)
- Understand and apply all related Standards, Codes, and Regulations.
- Work with the General Manager and Human Resources in the creation of an Apprenticeship Program that will assist in daily work orders and provide additional hours of coverage, as well as reassurance that there is adequate knowledge and training on the systems at present and in the future.
- Maintain appropriate supply of materials and equipment to carry out the normal day to day operations and maintenance requirements of the physical plant.
- Maintain organized and efficient administrative and filing systems within physical plant operations for the timely and accurate handling of correspondence, reports, requisitions for purchase and other administrative requirements.
- Maintain a well-defined and organized system within the shop for inventory, maintenance and storage of all tools, products, materials and equipment necessary to execute the required activities of the department.
- Immediately available to report to the General Manager in the event of any casino or hotel emergency which necessitates the skills and expertise of this position
- Establish environmental systems to include mounting, installing, fabricating, or connecting compressors, condensers, evaporators, motors, expansion and discharge valves, temperature and humidity controls, fans, control panels, switches, fuses, gauges, ducts, piping, tubing, and related components; and complete power connections.
- Organize work by gathering and studying required material such as work orders, diagrams, specifications, drawings, and blueprints.
- Perform certain minor repairs in other areas when necessary (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.) or assist in completing service.
- Conduct walk-through's to visually and physically assess the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the physical plant of the casino and hotel, all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, HVAC systems, and any other related equipment.
- Adhere to all budgets, purchasing policies, and controls, to include all outside contractor bids, and schedules.
- Conduct an annual assessment of facilities to identify needed improvement and repairs.
- Ensures the performance, condition, and reliability of all plumbing, mechanical and electrical equipment to ensure efficient operation of all equipment.
- Interface with contractors to maintain state of the art technology within the facility.
- Maintain and document effective Energy Management and Preventive Maintenance programs.
- Willingness to cross-train and provide support in related areas of operations.
- Other duties may be assigned by supervisor.
- Task delegation to achieve maximum results
- Reinforcement of policies and procedures
- Direct department expenditures
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all departmental operations
- Direct all interviews for new hires as well as promotions and transfers
- Perform employee disciplinary actions and corrections terminations
- Staff performance evaluations, attendance, scheduling, employee file maintenance
- Maintain safety and security in the department including all emergency responses and reports
- Plan and organize all departmental functions
- Ensure completion of scheduled shift reports and other shift details as required by management
- Maintain open lines of communication with other departments and within the department itself
- Creating and administering a mentoring program within the department to ensure that other staff members are trained and ready to move to the next level
- Oversee departmental training procedures and evaluate effectiveness of the training programs
- Requires High School Diploma or GED equivalent; and Master Electrician License for State of Michigan (or be able to reciprocate from another state) OR an Electrical Controls Engineering OR Mechanical Engineering Degree; OR and Professional Engineer; plus Minimum of 5-10 years of experience troubleshooting complex HVAC systems and controls at the commercial level; and In depth knowledge of instrumentation and low voltage controls, process air flow measurements and calculations; and Strong electro/mechanical aptitude.
- Requires five (5) years of successful supervisory experience.
- Current Journeyman/Licensing/Certification in HVAC, Plumbing, or Pipe Fitter preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of electrical systems, components and devices, HVAC systems, boilers, mechanical systems and the maintenance and repair of all.
- Working knowledge of public construction and building systems; all related permits, licensing, new and existing codes pertaining to public building and fire safety.
- Proficient skills in use of computers and software programs associated with Property Operations such as MicroSoft Office products, HVAC controls software, and CAD to update and maintain electrical and mechanical drawings.
- Skilled in the proper and safe use of all tools, equipment, materials, chemicals and products of the trades.
- Excellent ability to communicate in the English language, both verbal and written.
- Knowledge of resources and ability to apply state-of-the-art developments effecting the safe and effective operation of the facility.
- Ability to maintain a state-of-the-art building facility as it was constructed.
- Must posses the ability to read blueprints and drawings, and HVAC systems common to large buildings.
- Knowledge of Energy Management Systems
Must have a valid Michigan Driver's License and be insurable by the Tribe.
Equipment To Be Used
Hand tools, power tools, test equipment, computer, phone, fax, and general office equipment.
Typical Physical Demands
May be required to lift up to 75lbs. Required to reach, bend, stretch, kneel, crawl, lift and carry frequently. Ability to move hands quickly, coordinate movements with fingers, see details at close range, match or detect differences between colors including shades of color and brightness, make fast, simple, repeated movements with fingers, hands, and wrists, ability to keep hand steady while moving arm or while holding arm and hand in one position. Employee must be able to perform all responsibilities while wearing proper safety eye, ear, ventilation, hand and foot protective gear.
Typical Mental Demands
Must be able to effectively handle stressful and compromising situations while remaining focused and professional. Must be able to work productively under strict time restraints with variable deadlines. Using mathematics to solve problems and using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Must be able and willing to work in a crowded and loud, smoking environment. Must be able to handle being under constant surveillance. May be required to work in small, enclosed spaces. Must practice all safety policies, procedures and standards as set by OSHA. The noise level may fluctuate from mild to loud. Work environment may be indoors or outdoors, conditions of which may be warm, cold, windy, humid or require travel over uneven terrain and/or at heights.
Native American and Tribal Preference will apply. Must be able to pass a background investigation and a drug and alcohol urinalysis as a condition of employment. Must be able to work flexible hours and to take on additional responsibilities when asked. Must adhere to company policies regarding strict confidentiality.
If applicant requires relocation, management will discuss
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on Apply Now to submit your Casino Careers resume and you will be directed to our Career Page where you must complete our Employment Application to be considered. You may also submit a cover letter via the Email Employer form.
Grand Traverse Resort & Casinos
2331 NW Bayshore Drive
Peshawbestown, MI 49682
Grand Traverse Resort & Casinos, located in the northwest corner of Michigan's lower peninsula, include Turtle Creek Casino and Hotel, Leelanau Sands Casino and Lodge, and Grand Traverse Resort and Spa which are all owned and operated by the federally-recognized Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians.
Turtle Creek Casino and Hotel, open 24/7, features 1,200 slot machines and 40 table games (Blackjack, Roulette, Craps, and Poker) on a 56,000 square-foot gaming floor, along with three restaurants, six bars, gift shop, private high limit room, and more. The 6-story hotel offers 137 elegantly-appointed rooms, suites, and hospitality parlors, along with a 4,000 square-foot ballroom, 550 square-foot conference room, fitness center and cultural display.
Leelanau Sands Casino and Lodge offers 450 slot machines and 8 table games including Blackjack, Roulette, Craps, and 3-Card Poker, an 88-seat Bingo Hall, 1,000-seat Showroom for concerts and conferences, restaurant, and gift shop. The 50+ room hotel is steps away, welcoming guests with woodland and bayside views of Grand Traverse Bay.
Grand Traverse Resort and Spa is one of the Midwest’s finest year-round resorts featuring nearly 600 guest rooms and 54 holes of championship golf including courses designed by Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. The 900-acre property offers amenities including the award-winning Spa Grand Traverse, five restaurants (most notably the acclaimed Aerie Restaurant & Lounge), over 85,000 square feet of meeting space, a shopping center, and a 100,000-square-foot Health Club.