Sous Chef - Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Yaamava' Resort & Casino at San Manuel
Highland, California 92346
May 13, 2022
Sep 14, 2022
Type of Position:
Food and Beverage
Under the direction of the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef, the Sous Chef plans and supervises the overall daily operation of their assigned kitchen; supporting a specific venue or areas of operation. The Sous Chef schedules, supervises, coordinates, trains and participates in all activities of Cooks and other reporting kitchen personnel. They are responsible for planning, preparing and cooking foods for all menus for a multitude of occasions, including special functions and holidays. Working with the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef, the Sous Chef establishes menu forecasts based on customer counts or business forecasts, previous experience, dates and holidays, while maintaining team adherence to all health and safety regulations and applicable San Manuel policies and procedures. The Sous Chef operates in representation of the culinary team’s best in class culture, while championing the goals and priorities of the Tribe in a manner that reflects and upholds the Tribal Community’s vision, mission and values.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Maintains and ensures all recipes, flavor profiles, consistency in quality, appearance and production timeframes are adhered to for all menu/food items being produced, and that all food items needed for production are available to team members. Understands menu development techniques and development of recipes, plating guides and menu cards. Responsible for food preparation, and storing and service delivery to customers.
Responsible for cleanliness, organization and preparedness of immediate work space and adjacent areas.
2. Monitors and works with restaurant/venue management and/or Chef de Cuisine or Executive Sous Chef to control all financial aspects of the kitchen operations of designated venue(s); including, but not limited to, food cost, labor cost and other expenses. Ensures all logs, requisitions and any other necessary paperwork is filled out and submitted in the proper form and time frame. Works in conjunction with restaurant/venue management and/or Chef de Cuisine or Executive Sous Chef to control all purchasing of food products. Conducts monthly Inventory and works in conjunction with outlet Manager and/or Chef de Cuisine or Executive Sous Chef along with the Food & Beverage Analyst to ensure proper financial closure of every month.
3. Performs periodic and annual performance reviews of all culinary hourly team members.
4. Schedules kitchen line team members within budgeted labor cost; approves vacation requests ensuring that staffing levels are still met.
5. Ensures safe working conditions are in place at all times for kitchen and food service staff; investigates and reports all employee injuries or accidents according to policy. Monitors all kitchen areas to ensure Health Department, Gaming, Casino, IHS, FDA and OSHA codes & policies are followed at all times; reports any violation(s) of codes and policies immediately upon discovery; participates in all Gaming, IHS and all other inspections.
6. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the enterprise’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Culinary degree from an accredited culinary institute preferred.
- College degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years experience working in a large hotel or similar Casino-type operation which includes high volume production, catering and multi-unit aspects as well as larger staff management at Sous Chef level or above required.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirement.
- Management training and/or culinary education experience preferred.
- Possess advanced knowledge of single unit culinary operations
- Ability to handle high volume a la carte kitchen cooking, high volume catering/banquet production and expediting of food during peak periods of business in all stated areas
- Must possess strong management skills; understand corrective counseling methods and how to properly document any issues that arise with staff.
- Must possess adequate skill level in handson training of staff.
- Must understand menu development techniques and development of recipes, plating guides and menu cards.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have and maintain a valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the enterprises insurance carrier.
- Must obtain and maintain a current ServSafe certificate and negative TB test.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
Why you’ll want to work on our Team:
After 35 years, long time Yaamava Resort & Casino at San Manuel employees still love their jobs
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel – San Manuel Casino is now Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel.
We are located just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles in the city of Highland, CA, Our gaming resort is owned and operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority.
Phase 1 of our expansion opened July 24 with an expanded casino space offering more than 6,500 slots, five high-limit gaming rooms, live entertainment, a full array of dining options which include The Pines Modern Steakhouse, the Hong Bao Kitchen, Just Barbeque, the Serrano Vista Cafe, Rock & Brews, the Chingon Kitchen, Quick Bikes, the Big Mo’ Cafe, the TuTu’s Food Court and six cocktail lounges and bars.
Our luxury resort features a 17-floor hotel tower with 432 guest rooms and suites, an elevated pool deck experience, a lavish full-service spa and salon, expanded dining options, convenient 24-hour in-room dining. Our gaming resort offers sweeping views of the San Bernardino Mountains.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us.
Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be.
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive Benefits Program:
Apply today to join our team!