Career- College Counselor - San Manuel Casino
Career- College Counselor
San Manuel Casino
Highland, California 92346
Jan 07, 2021
Mar 23, 2021
Type of Position:
Reporting to the Education Committee and Education Director, the Career/College Counselor will work diligently to provide advisement of high school graduation requirements that will prepare students for a successful transition into the workforce or at a post-secondary institution. This individual will provide guidance for students in middle school, high school, post-secondary programs, and adults interested in pursuing further education. This role requires one to possess clear written and oral communication skills.
The individual selected for this role is expected to assist in championing the goals and priorities of the Tribe in a manner that reflects and upholds the Tribal Community’s vision, mission and values given that the San Manuel Education Department and its members take pride in having a 100% graduation rate, providing opportunities for students to continue on to higher education.
The expected hours of work are Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday hours would extend into the evening (7:00 pm/7:30 pm), and Friday hours would be until 5:00 pm.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Advises and guides students and families to increase student engagement, improve graduation and completion rates for both high school and post-secondary students, and increase postsecondary enrollment in college and career training opportunities. Supports adult learners interested in completing their high school diploma or postsecondary degree.
2. Understands and supports student development of soft skills, executive functioning skills and transitional programs to assist students in grades K-12 and post-secondary studies by working closely with high school staff to ensure students are receiving the correct documentation and necessary support.
3. Outreach and develop relationships with community colleges, trade schools, and universities to build career and technical pathways for secondary students. Coordinates information sessions with schools to facilitate information sessions for parents and students, either hosted virtually, on the reservation, or by visiting college campuses.
4. Works closely with the Office Coordinator to track student’s progress to ensure students are meeting the requirements set forth by the Tribe in the Education Benefits Act. Understands and facilitates all requirements within the Education Benefits Act for students who fall within the post-secondary, vocational and adult sections.
5. Partners with all schools where San Manuel students are enrolled in to ensure students are on track toward graduation and receiving the necessary supports to be successful. Might work with counselors, vice-principals, principals, teachers and case carriers at the school site. Maintains appropriate release forms to obtain information as needed.
6. Plans and facilitates student/parent workshops and one-on-one meetings to support the college application process, financial application process, and the transition from high school to college or career. Works with students and parents to assist with scheduling, transcripts and graduation progress plans.
7. Supports students and parents through the college admissions process, procedures and testing. Supports high school seniors in completing applications and advises families on choosing and considering post-secondary institutions that best fit the interest and needs of the student. May need to write letters of recommendation for students.
8. Creates and implements curriculum with regards to advisory, health and wellness, and college and career readiness for students and families. Provides training to Education Department staff to promote various career opportunities and application processes.
9. Provides individual counseling to guide students and parents in the areas of academics and career, while providing updates on progress toward graduation to parents/guardians. Monitors student academic performance and attendance, and assists with appropriate interventions. Works closely with the Tribal Family Services Department for social-emotional needs. Assists with coordinating concurrent enrollment at local colleges.
10. Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Master of Science in Counseling required.
Credential in Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) required.
Minimum of two years of experience required.
Ability to work with parents, students, faculty, post-secondary educational representatives, community partners and school site personnel.
Ability to understand students maturity levels, goal selection, determining interests and possible career pathways to support students in making choices that leads to appropriate careers provided their interests and abilities.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills preferred.
Experience with conflict resolution.
Ability to motivate students and provide incentives for academic success.
At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Education Department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening, tuberculosis (TB) test, and criminal history background check.
A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the companys insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
San Manuel Casino
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
San Manuel Casino is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!