Director of Operational Compliance - San Manuel Casino
Director of Operational Compliance
San Manuel Casino
Highland, California 92346
Jan 07, 2021
Mar 28, 2021
Type of Position:
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Casino Finance, the Director of Operational Compliance is responsible for developing and implementing a strategy for the review of gaming and non-gaming departments based upon regulatory requirements, risk assessments, and other enterprise priorities. The Director of Operational Compliance oversees the performance of quality assurance reviews of operations to ensure compliance with San Manuel Casino (SMC) internal control standards. Additionally, the Director of Operational Compliance oversees proper maintenance of the system of internal control standards, provides support during the implementation of new information technology systems, assists in the development of controls for new services, makes recommendations for process improvement, and acts as a liaison between Casino operations and the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission (SMTGC) or other external agencies. The Director of Operational Compliance provides support and guidance to a team of Operational Compliance personnel through training, and the development of procedures and guidelines that support the team’s objectives. Further, the Director of Operational Compliance prepares and reviews detailed reports of findings and recommendations in a professional manner consistent with industry practices. The Director of Operational Compliance makes presentations to the Senior VP of Casino Finance and executives for the purpose of reporting findings and recommendations. This role is critical to managing risk and is expected to provide the Senior VP of Casino Finance and other executives their assessment of the risks associated with Casino programs, products, and services. The Director of Operational Compliance interprets regulations and develops audit plans respectively, for BSA/AML Title 31, IRS Information Reporting, National Indian Gaming Commission Minimal Internal Control Standards, and San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission Regulations, Tribal/State of California Gaming Compact, and other tribal gaming ordinances.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provides managerial oversight of Operational Compliance Team, including work performed by team members and related administrative tasks. Ensures work performed by team meets regulatory requirements, industry standards, practices or expectations set by the Senior VP, Casino Finance relative to evaluating program quality and effectiveness, and identifies areas for improvement, and forecasts future program needs.
2. Provides guidance and direction to team members performing Operational Compliance reviews. Mentors and guides management team members. Determines work assignments taking into account the complexity of assignment and skill level necessary to perform work.
3. Makes presentations to department management, executive management and/or Tribal Business Committee. Manages and provides feedback to associates and management via meetings, collaboration and reports.
4. Performs and/or directs internal operational process audit and/or assessment activities for enterprise departments supported by the Operational Compliance Team. Performs review and evaluation work of programs in complex or sensitive cases, as needed. Reviews draft reports prepared by team members and approves all final reports.
5. Leads quality process development and improvement initiatives with the respective departments. Plans, measures and analyzes data, monitors trends and evaluates process and service quality and service quality gaps. Develops annual Quality Assurance Review Plan after taking into consideration feedback from Senior VP of Casino Finance and other executive management. In collaboration with Senior VP of Casino Finance, coordinates all internal and external audit reviews including documentation, written responses and negotiations
6. Performs other duties as assigned to support efficient operations.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the enterprise’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
- Bachelors degree (B.S. or B.A.) in Finance, Business, or business related field required. Masters degree is highly preferred.
- Minimum of (10) years experience working in the gaming industry.
- Minimum three (3) years of Supervisory experience leading a team in the performance of audits, reviews, and/or assessments under Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS).
- Experience in the areas of quality assurance, internal controls, program effectiveness, program improvement and/or regulatory matters relating to the Bank Secrecy Act, Anti-Money Laundering, and/or OFAC matters.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, analytical, research and managerial experience in leading teams on audits or projects.
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate verbally and in writing throughout all levels of the organization.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, SharePoint, and relevant audit software required.
- Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking and work under pressure.
- Experience performing consulting/auditing work in the casino industry, and/or working for a casino regulator preferred.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have and maintain a valid drivers license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the enterprises insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
Please click on the Apply Now button to submit your Casino Careers resume in our database. If you are redirected to our Company Online Application, it must also be completed for you to be considered. If an Email Employer button is visible, it enables you to also submit a resume/cover letter.
San Manuel Casino
777 San Manuel Boulevard
Highland, CA 92346
San Manuel Casino is located in Highlands, CA, just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles, and a short drive from LA-Ontario International Airport. The gaming facility is operated by the San Manuel Entertainment Authority, an economic instrumentality of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians. The casino floor contains over 4,800 of the latest and most innovative slot machines in a state-of-the-art facility. It features over 130 Vegas-style poker and blackjack tables, an exclusive high-limit room, and a designated Poker room.
Food & beverage venues include Big Mo’ Cafe, Tutu's Food Court with fast-food options around the clock, Rock & Brews with a wide selection of craft burgers and craft beer from around the world, as well as legendary comedian George Lopez's Chingon Kitchen, which provides an authentic Mexican dining experience. Guests can dance the night away with DJ's at Bar Bar Bar, listen to Rock'n Roll tribute bands on stage at Rock & Brews, or enjoy Latin music at George Lopez's Chingon Tequila Lounge.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry. At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be. Apply today to join our team!