Tribal Police Captain - Spotlight 29 Casino
Tribal Police Captain
Spotlight 29 Casino
Coachella, California 92236
Oct 23, 2020
Dec 30, 2020
Type of Position:
We are seeking an experienced, skilled Tribal Police Captain to join our growing organization. In this position, the Tribal Police Captain will be under general direction of the Chief of Tribal Police/Director of Public Safety; maintains oversight and leads the activities of Tribal Police, Public Safety and Dispatch. Provides direction to meet Tribal goals and to coordinate with other service areas, agencies, boards, commissions and the public. May act for the Chief, as needed. This is a mid-management classification responsible for the discrete sub-departmental organizational component(s) and programs/functions within a department as determined by Department Director (Chief), Tribal Chairman and Tribal Council.
The incumbent serves as a member of the Tribal policy advisory team with responsibilities for developing means for implementing policies and procedures developed by the Tribal executive team. Exercises policy development and promulgation responsibilities for specific program/functional areas. Demonstrates professional competence while working as a team member and exercise independent judgment in a number of confidential and sensitive areas. Duties and responsibilities are performed in accordance with Tribal policy, federal, and state regulating entities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability requires. Upon request, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Acts as the Tribal Police Chief, in the Chief’s absence
- Demonstrates leadership in commitment to the Police Code of Ethics and highest ethical values in the delivery of Tribal Public Safety.
- Manages police command staff and supervisors responsible for, crime prevention, planning, investigations, research, special programs/projects and disaster preparedness.
- Acts in an official capacity in local disaster preparedness organization.
- Provides management direction to activities relating to the effective utilization of personnel, facilities and equipment.
- Develops department policy; collaborates with other department managers regarding policies and procedures.
- Oversees departmental operations, activities and provides planning and research for disaster preparedness, protection of life and property, maintenance of the public peace, regulation of traffic, apprehension, arrest and detention of law violators, and maintenance of and provision of emergency dispatch services.
- Oversees the activities of the Tribal Police and Public Safety Department in all operational functions. Develops and reviews policies, rules and procedures for effective operation of Tribal Police and Public Safety Department.
- Oversees the assignment of employees and equipment.
- Coordinates with other local government agencies in emergency response activities.
- Confers with and makes recommendations to the Tribal Police Chief regarding projects and programs and assists in the development and implementation of Tribal Public Safety strategic plan.
- Updates Tribal Police Chief of emergency developments.
- Assists in the preparation of budget related to assigned activities; oversees budget implementation; recommends regarding the forecast of additional funds; approves expenditures; implements mid-year adjustments.
- Makes presentations before various groups, including Tribal Council, commissions, boards, committees, task forces, and on and off-site public meetings; participates in community events.
- Supervises staff including provision of timely performance evaluations; recommends and implements approved discipline; provides staff development; and maintains high standards necessary for efficient, professional operations; participates in labor negotiations.
- Answers difficult questions; provides information to other departments, and other agencies; recommends and coordinates corrective actions; investigates, reports, documents and resolves complaints.
- Builds and maintains respectful, positive working relationships with staff, supervisors, outside agencies and the public using principles of good customer service; provides effective conflict resolution, as needed.
- Models appropriate professional management conduct; maintains appropriate confidentiality of sensitive information; complies with and supports Tribal policies and procedures and labor laws.
- Attends assigned meetings and training and police conferences; interacts with outside agencies and commissions; participates in teams, or committees, or associations, as needed.
- Assures staff works in a safe manner; follows safety requirements; monitors and assures compliance with regulations and other legal requirements.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
Required Experience and Knowledge
- Modern principles, practices and techniques of a police department, public safety entity and emergency dispatch services.
- Modern operating principles, practices and techniques of law enforcement and crime prevention including causation of criminal/deviant behavior and Community-Oriented Policing.
- Knowledge of Public Law 280
- Use and maintenance of law enforcement equipment and apparatus.
- Codes, regulations, criminal laws and ordinances related to police activities, crime prevention, emergency response and disaster preparedness;
- Local geography and available police resources.
- Modern office procedures, and methods including computer equipment, word processing, spread sheet, data base, graphic presentations and other needed specialized software applications, and internet and electronic communication usage and methods.
- Budgeting development procedures and administration.
- Principles and practices of supervision, staff selection, motivation, training and personnel management.
- Principles of effective time management
- Principles of effective public speaking, conflict resolution and excellent customer service.
- Effectively formulate, organize and manage sound policy in the areas of police law enforcement, public safety, security and crime prevention.
- Interact with citizens, guests and employees in an effective way that produces positive results.
- Supervise the management of major incidents and crime scenes.
- Analyze situations accurately and swiftly, and adopt an effective course of action.
- Plan for major events and tactical situations.
- Be perceptive and innovative in the prediction and recognition of trends and problems and in the analysis and development of solutions to problems.
- Work well under pressure; work such hours as are necessary to accomplish the job including remaining on-call 24 hours a day; travel out of the area during or after work hours.
- Understand and communicate tribal, state and federal regulations, laws, codes, policies.
- Delegate authority and responsibility as well as schedule and program work.
- Work with and control sensitive and confidential information.
- Plan, initiate, manage and complete complex and multiple simultaneous work assignments; set priorities and organize work to meet deadlines.
- Lead, manage, evaluate and train personnel effectively and maintain discipline.
- Organize, implement and direct department goals within Tribe’s objectives.
- Make highly effective presentations before groups and represent the Tribe in public forums; communicate codes and regulatory information.
- Use computer and job related software in a highly effective manner.
- Manage, project and administer a budget.
- Establish and maintain respectful, effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate effectively, orally, electronically and in writing.
- Perform the duties and requirements of a sworn Tribal police officer.
Two years of increasingly responsible professional command level management experience with a public law enforcement agency performing administrative and supervisory oversight at Lieutenant level or higher or any experience that would have provided the opportunity to develop the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Education and Training
Possession of a Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university with significant course work in the areas of Criminal Justice, Administration of Justice, Criminology, Law Enforcement, Police Science, Public Administration, Organizational Management or related fields.
Certification, Licenses and Additional Requirements
- Must have a valid California Driver’s license and proof of automobile liability insurance is a condition of continued employment.
- Must pass pre-employment and periodic random drug screens
- Must be able to pass background suitability investigation
- Must obtain a Tribal Gaming License
- Possession of California Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Advanced and Management Certificates are highly desirable.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
To apply, please click on the Apply Now button which will submit your Casino Careers resume and place it in our Applicant Tracking Report. You may also email your resume using the Email Employer form. If you don’t have a resume and would like to complete a written application, please stop by our offices Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
We are located on the Second Floor by the escalators next to Blue Bar. Covered parking is available. Please be aware you’ll be required to wear a face mask and your temperature will be taken by security personnel. Please bring photo ID in case you we need you to obtain a Guest Pass for interviewing with us. Thank you!
Spotlight 29 Casino
46-200 Harrison Place
Coachella, CA 92236
Web Site: https://www.spotlight29.com
Be Part of Our Team!! There’s a reason why some of our associates have been a part of our Team for 25+ years. We are an employer of choice and proudly associated with the Twenty-Nine Palms Band of Cahuilla Indians.
As one of the larger employers of the Coachella Valley, we offer our Team Members competitive wages & benefits including medical, dental, vision educational reimbursement; discounted Team Member meals, training & development, rewards and recognition, and much more.
Spotlight 29 Casino employs over 500 local residents our casino features more than 1,500 Las Vegas-style slot machines, 35 table games, food & beverage outlets, banquet and entertainment space. Spotlight 29 Casino is located at the eastern end of the Coachella Valley on Dillon Road between Interstate 10 and Hwy 86.
Check out our other Casino...
Tortoise Rock Casino in Twentynine Palms, California is beautifully situated between the majestic Joshua Tree National Park and one of the country’s largest military training facilities—the United States Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center. We employ 150+ Team Members.
The casino offers 30,000 square feet of gaming space, with the industry's best Slot Machines, plenty of Table Games, live poker, live entertainment, along with Oasis Grille and Shelly’s Lounge.