Director of Finance - Sandia Resort & Casino
Director of Finance
Sandia Resort & Casino
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87113
Mar 20, 2021
May 16, 2021
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
Responsible for the overall financial reporting process of Sandia Resort & Casino, Bien Mur Indian Market Center, Bien Mur Travel Center and Sandia Lakes (referred to as the “Enterprises”). Directs the financial policies and enforcement of the Sandia Casino System of Internal Controls and the Standard Operating Procedures relative to the Accounting Department. Directs the operational functions of the Accounting Department. Designs and coordinates a wide variety of accounting and statistical data for financial reporting purposes.
Supervised by the Chief Financial Officer.
Supervises the direct reports of Controller, Materials Manager, and Financial Analyst.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1.Oversees the financial and operational departments that report to this position.
2.Coordinates monthly financial statements, annual financial reports, audit activities, and other information reports and requests; ensures accuracy and integrity of financial reporting.
3.Establishes and maintains that the Accounting Department complies with internal controls, standard operating procedures and regulations.
4.Ensures assigned departments are producing accurate and timely reports and information.
5.Provides direction and assistance to the Enterprises regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, implementation of new practices and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
6.Performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
7.Maintains current knowledge of and implements changes based on established policies and procedures, federal policies and directives, and current accounting practices, which directly or indirectly impact the Enterprise Accounting Records.
8.Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates Accounting Department associates.
9.Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
10.Keeps Chief Financial Officer apprised of significant variances to revenue and cost projections.
11.Oversees the return on investment for projects and their expenditures.
12.Oversees the preparation of daily revenue and other financial reports and their comparison against budget and forecast projections and previous years’ results.
13.Ensures taxes and regulatory documents are filed in a timely and accurate manner.
14.Analysis and interpretation of financial statements for the Enterprises.
15.Coordinates with outside CPA firm and participates in the annual audit plan of the Enterprises.
16.Directs the formulation, compilation, and presentation of the operating and capital budgets for the Enterprises.
17.Oversees safeguarding of assets of the Enterprises.
18.Demonstrates leadership by interacting actively and professionally.
19.Attend and be in compliance of all mandatory manager training classes.
20.Performs additional duties as necessary.
21.Focus on monthly accounting statement line item overage and submit monthly forecast on a timely manner.
22.Participates at least in one Safety Committee Meeting quarterly.
23.Participates in monthly Statement review meetings and recommends at least 2 savings ideas on the Accounting Department.
24.Maintains a manageable and reasonable Overtime in all of the Accounting departments.
25.Communicates regularly and copies the CFO on the following:
- Capital Expenditures requests and re-alignments once they are approved
- Vacation, PTO and early departures due to medical or other needs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal, state and tribal financial reporting regulations and requirements.
- Knowledge of casino and resort operations.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership characteristics and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of fiscal controls related to the safeguarding of assets.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Ability to supervise and train associates, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Knowledge of current changes and/or developments in federal, state, local accounting laws, and gaming policies and procedures.
- A proven record of commitment and professionalism in meeting the challenges and pressures of a 24 hour, 7-day operation.
- Physical stamina and high level of energy level.
- Professional appearance as perceived by peers, superiors, customers and community.
- Integrity as proven through sound business ethics.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Eight (8) years’ experience in an accounting, finance or related field including five (5) years in a Controller, Director or equivalent capacity within a casino or resort accounting department.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- CPA license.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the required Gaming License.
- Will require a post-offer, pre-employment and random drug screening.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Salary Range: $113,741.00 – $154,688.00 Annually
Applicants must already be authorized to work in the US and must be able to obtain and maintain a casino license in the state of New Mexico.
Sandia Resort and Casino
30 Rainbow Road NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Phone: (800) 526-9366
The Sandia Resort and Casino is situated on the Northeast corner of Interstate 25 and Tramway Road in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Since it first opened in 1994, The Sandia Resort and Casino has undergone extensive developments to its property to provide a truly all-inclusive and luxurious experience for visitors.
Owned and operated by the Pueblo of Sandia, it was the very first Indian casino in New Mexico at its opening. Now there are approximately 25 tribal casinos in the state, including Sandia.
The goal was to create an upscale experience that was close to home for New Mexicans, while encompassing Southwestern pride and culture for out-of-state visitors. With friendly customer service and opulent amenities, this goal was not only realized, it made Sandia Resort & Casino the best place for entertainment in the state.
The Vegas-style casino floor offers 140,000 square feet of your favorite games, including more than 2,300 slots, Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, Mini Baccarat, Pai Gow Poker, Three Card Poker, Bingo, Live Keno, and the state's largest non-smoking Poker room.
This is only the tip of the iceberg in regards to all that Sandia Casino has to offer. With the addition of the hotel in 2005, and another expansion in 2014 to add the golf pavilion and parking garage, Sandia Resort & Casino slowly became much more than just a place to game.
Visitors from all over the nation can now get lost in the lights and sounds of the casino floor, relax at the luxurious Green Reed Spa, dive into the outdoor pool, tee off on the 18-hole championship golf course, listen to their favorite singer at the amphitheater, dine at any of the numerous restaurants, bars, and lounges, get married to their best friend, and spend the night in one of the grand, luxury suites – all available onsite.
Come say hello to New Mexico’s best place to play – Sandia Resort & Casino!