Lead Cook - Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Glendale, Arizona 85305
Mar 15, 2018
Jun 15, 2018
Type of Position:
Food and Beverage
The Lead Cook, under direct supervision of the Desert Diamond Casino-Phoenix & Desert Diamond Casino-Phoenix Venue Manager, prepares food items according to the production sheet for the assigned area. Delegating task/jobs to cooks, firm understanding of menus or prep sheets, advanced knowledge of basic culinary techniques and methods.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cooks a variety of foods in quantities, styles, according to the menu and demand of the business.
- Uses and teach proper knife skills, cooking techniques, cooking methods and terminology.
- Reads, understands, follows, and creates standardized recipes when preparing all foods for all food venues and outlets.
- Maintains and communicates with Room Chefs and Venue Managers regarding the foods/products needed to ensure safe par levels and proper stock levels.
- Maintains daily tracking log.
- Delegates assigned tasks to the Cooks, Prep Cooks, and Kitchen Stewards.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, organized, and sanitized work area while following all tribal, city, state and federal health/food safety regulations and codes.
- Responsible for assigned venue/outlet/ kitchen areas are taken care of and all assigned duties are completed.
- Ensures that all venues are completely ready to open by designated time set by management.
- Responsible for all food storage areas (refrigeration, freezer, and dry storage), equipment, tools, floors, work stations and food prep areas are kept clean and organized, labeled and dated. As well as free from all clutter, trash and non-approved items.
- Works according to established procedures of the Casino.
- Maintains a good communication with team members and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED plus three years recent experience as a cook; at least one year of supervisory experience as a lead cook/saucier or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Must be able to obtain a Food Handlers Card.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- No felony, theft or stealing convictions.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and utensils maintenance operations.
- Knowledge of safe practices in a kitchen working environment.
- Knowledge of Sauce and stock making.
- Knowledge of meat and fish butchery.
- Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in basic English.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to be organized and coordinate task amongst team members and subordinates.
- Ability to read and write.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to safely use and administer cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to prepare a variety of foods. Knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
- Knowledge of basic food and there uses.
- Knowledge of all food and safety regulations.
- Ability to teach culinary methods, techniques and principles to cooks in a clear manner.
- Ability to clearly communicate to all levels of management.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member will be required to stand for extended periods of time sometimes in the same place. The job will entail constant communication at all times to communicate where you are and to communicate the task at hand. The job will require you to use your hands constantly for cutting, grabbing, lifting, washing, touching, sensing and holding items. You will be required to walk often at a safe pace. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the Casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam. Days, evenings, graveyards, holidays and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required. Will work in all venues unless specified by Food & Beverage Management.
All applicant must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
To be considered for this position you must complete our Employment Application. Please click on Apply Now and you'll be redirected to our online form.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Fax: (520) 340-2154
Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. No phone calls, please.
The Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment offers a convenient, memorable entertainment experience in Tucson, Sahuarita, Why and Glendale, Arizona. Amenities include unmatched gaming options, fine dining, the Monsoon Nightclub and world-class sporting events, music concerts and comedy sets at the Diamond Center. Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment also offers one of the region's finest convention centers and high-tech meeting facilities.
An enterprise of the Tohono O’odham Nation, Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment has been in the gaming and entertainment business for almost 30 years, beginning in 1985 with the opening of Papago Bingo in the Tucson area.
In 1993, the first Desert Diamond Casino was opened on Nogales Highway. Six years later, a smaller facility opened in Why, Arizona. The third Desert Diamond Casino near Sahuarita was opened in 2001. In 2007, the original casino on Nogales Highway was replaced with a new casino, hotel and convention center complex. Our newest property, Desert Diamond Casino – West Valley opened in late 2015 and has quickly become one of the Phoenix metropolitan area’s hottest spots.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Tucson offers over 1,000 slots, a poker room with the area's most competitive tournaments, live blackjack, high-stakes bingo and fabulous keno.The hotel located only minutes from the Tucson International Airport includes complimentary wireless internet access, a heated outdoor pool, jetted hydro-spa, patio seating with a fire pit, exercise facilities, coffee bar and lounge.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Sahuarita offers hundreds of slots and live blackjack tables. Food & Beverage venues include three restaurants - the Agave Restaurant offering fine dining, the Diamond Buffet and the Diamond Grill, as well as the two cocktail lounges.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Why is the perfect rest stop for travelers on their way to Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) or making the trek to western Arizona. Guests can play slots at the self-service gas station and fully stocked convenience store.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment West Valley - located in Glendale, Arizona offers a 35,000 sq. ft. Class 2 casino with bingo-style slot machines. It is currently undergoing a $400 million development which will result in a 1 million-square-foot resort with a 75,000 sq. ft. casino with table games, such as blackjack and poker, as well as Las Vegas-style slot machines. The new facility will also feature five restaurants and cocktail lounges.