Chief Financial Officer - Sky Ute Casino Resort
Chief Financial Officer
Sky Ute Casino Resort
Ignacio, Colorado 81137
Nov 22, 2017
Dec 23, 2017
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
Under the supervision and direction of the General Manager, the CFO is responsible for setting financial policy and direction for the organization to ensure efficient control of financial resources and maximization of profits.
The CFO is responsible for overall financial and accounting functions, as well as monthly and quarterly profit and loss reporting to the Tribal Council. Additionally, the CFO has director level responsibility over the Cage, Count and Purchasing departments.
The CFO manages the financial recording and reporting process to ensure accurate, timely and objective financial data from which informed management decisions can be made.
The CFO will develop and maintain internal controls to safeguard assets and ensure compliance with established laws, regulations, policies, procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Governmental Accounting Standards.
The CFO assists the General Manager in directing and coordinating the business activities of the Sky Ute Casino Resort to maintain maximum operating efficiency, profitability and organizational growth opportunities and making recommendations as appropriate.
The CFO will analyze potential expansion of business on growth opportunities for financial viability.
- Works collaboratively with the GM and Casino management team on all strategic issues as appropriate; provide strategic recommendations to the GM based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis; participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the management team.
- Overall responsibility for financial annual operating budgets, financial audits, contract administration, and accounting policies/procedures.
- Responsible for year-end financial audits, National Indian Gaming Commission reports and any tax related reports.
- Responsible for long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan, including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships at all levels.
- Analyzes the financial details of the past, present, and expected operations in order to identify trends, development opportunities and areas where improvement is needed.
- Overall responsibility for the accurate recording of transactions, submission of appropriate documentation, and timely completion of all related financial functions relating to the:
- General ledger
- Accounts payable and receivable
- Cash flow forecasting and analysis
- Risk insurance
- Audit and tax preparation
- Inventory and assets
- Billings, credits or rebates
- Credit card
- Bank reconciliation
- Prepares or directs the preparation and assembly of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, and all reports necessary for proper financial management or requested by Tribal Council, Southern Ute Division of Gaming or other regulatory bodies.
- Manages and coordinates the budget planning and approval process with all departments. Develop and monitor budget and prepare reports which summarize forecast activity and financial position.
- Analyzes the financial performance of each department and confer with department managers to provide advice or guidance when necessary.
- Provides direction, assistance, training and advice to other department managers regarding budgeting (preparation and on-going monitoring), forecasting, procurement and other fiscal management areas.
- Ensures the collection and payment of applicable tribal, local, state and federal taxes.
- Oversees cash management efforts, bank account reconciliations, accounts payable register, cash flow analysis and any other cash related monitoring activities.
- Coordinates and manages activities related to the Casino’s finance and audit committees and with any other designated group that has a financial relationship with the Casino.
- Plans and directs internal audit to ensure proper safekeeping of assets.
- Oversees daily audits of all Sky Ute Casino Resort Gaming and Non-Gaming revenue operations.
- Ensures overall compliance with the Casino Policies and Procedures, Southern Ute Tribal Gaming Code & Internal Control Minimal Procedures, Accounting departmental policies & procedures, and any applicable laws and regulations.
- Manages and ensures compliance with contract administration on behalf of the Casino Resort property and work in collaboration with the Southern Ute Tribal Attorney.
- Manages and monitors all purchase requisition activities.
- Manages and monitors all inventory review, including property and equipment.
- Coordinates and manages interviews, hiring, training, supervising, evaluating and termination of department staff in accordance with the Casino Policies and Procedures.
- Keeps abreast of national, regional and local economic trends and forecasts to assist with budget projections and long term planning.
- Keeps abreast of the latest finance, administration and operational trends in order to implement those in support of the Casino’s goals and objectives, mission and vision statement.
- Responsible for the safe operation of Casino vehicles, in accordance with established policies, procedures and controls.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED
- Must have a Bachelor Degree in Accounting and/or Business Administration or closely related field, AND five (5) years of Senior level Gaming Financial Accounting experience.
- Certified Public Accountant required. Controllership experience in a tribal gaming environment highly desirable.
- Must have at least three (3) years supervisory experience in an Accounting and/or Finance position.
- Must be able to demonstrate success in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control and reporting. This should include experience with the day to day financial operations of an organization of at least 50 staff persons.
- Must have experience and skills in the use of software programs such as the current version of MS Office and automated accounting and reporting systems. Oracle PeopleSoft experience preferred.
- Must have knowledge of advanced accounting principles and procedures.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and must be insurable with the Southern Ute Indian Tribe.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent organizational and management skills and the ability to excel in handling details, multi-tasking and working under pressure.
- Must have knowledge of the Federal & State Payroll and Tax Regulations.
- Must have knowledgeable of the U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Financial Accounting Standards Board regulations (FASB) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board regulations (GASB).
- Must have knowledge of Casino operations and regulatory requirements, i.e., Tribal, State, Federal Minimum Internal Controls (MICs) and Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA).
- Must obtain and maintain a Key Gaming License as required by regulatory authorities.
- Must be able to work independently and exercise judgment to resolve personnel and production issues that arise during daily operations
- Must maintain strict confidentiality at all times, including personnel data, gaming regulations and compliance.
- Prepares confidential correspondence and recordkeeping.
- Facilitates formal and/or informal oral/written presentations to the Casino Resort Management/Employees, Southern Ute Tribal Entities (i.e., Council, Government, Division of Gaming, etc.) and any outside business partners.
- Frequently uses a telephone and computer for communicating, scheduling, reporting, and accessing Financial, Kronos and HR data via PeopleSoft.
- Must possess effective team building skills and good employee/customer relations.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Casino management, co-workers, subordinates, Southern Ute Tribal Entities (i.e., Council, Government, Division of Gaming, etc.) and the public.
- Must be able to work all shifts including weekends, nights and holidays.
- Must always remain sensitive to cultural diversity in the work place.
To Apply please click on the Apply Now button and complete our Online Application on our web site:http://www.skyutecasino.com and click on Careers/Available Jobs
TERO-Native American Preference; All applicants welcome.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
14324 Hwy 172 N
PO Box 340
Ignacio, CO 81137
The Southern Ute Indian Tribe welcomes you to Sky Ute Casino Resort!
Sky Ute Casino Resort, located in Ignacio, CO, features a 45,000 square foot Casino with 600 slot machines, 12 table games and 200 seat Bingo Hall. The hotel provides 140 luxury hotel rooms, eight (8) over sized luxury suites and 24 space RV park; as well as a variety of food and beverage venues, including the authentic Seven Rivers Steak, Seafood and Spirits; Willow's Café; Rolling Thunder Grill and Lounge; Shining Mountain Café. The Event Center is comprised of a 18,000 square-foot ballroom and rooms for group and special events. Recreational activities include a 24 lane AMF bowling center and 18 hole mini golf course.
Prospective employees have an opportunity to become one of the friendly staff who provides Southwestern hospitality second to none in the Four Corners. They offer competitive wages and a variety of job opportunities in their 24 hour operation. The employee benefits package includes medical, dental, vision care, participation in 401(k) plan and paid leave. Sky Ute Casino Resort is the employer of choice in the gaming and hospitality industry!