Archaeologist - Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa & Spa Resort Casino
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa & Spa Resort Casino
Palm Springs, California 92264
Nov 22, 2017
Jul 15, 2018
Type of Position:
Community & Government Relations
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Under the direction of the Director of Historic Preservation, the Archaeologists primary responsibilities include responding to requests for tribal consultation and coordination of consultation under certain historic preservation laws. The Archaeologist may be required to perform field archaeology, cultural monitoring activities and assist the Tribal Historic Preservation Office (THPO) department with all other needed tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties may be assigned)
- Review projects for compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act, and its implementing regulations, as well as other cultural resource laws and regulations such as ARPA, NAGPRA, American Indian Religious Freedom Act, CEQA, and other Historic Preservation laws.
- Performs research and writes reports assessing the archaeological impacts of proposed land use or development projects.
- Review project-based documentation including scoping requests, environmental assessments, archaeological reports, ethnographic information, and maps to assess impacts to historic resources.
- Functions as the principal investigator during survey, excavation and recordation of subsurface features and artifacts, and for writing research designs to test/evaluate sites for the National register of Historic Places (NRHP).
- Review associated background data and mitigation requirements for project review and compliance.
- Conduct archaeological field surveys and archaeological monitoring; and author associated technical reports with DPR forms, and maps created using ArcGIS.
- Use GPS equipment for field data collection.
- Prepare artifacts for curation.
- Assist with research as needed.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the THPO department.
- Maintain all records according to departmental standards.
- Must work as a team player and assist the department in all other duties needed.
- Comply with all applicable ACBCI System of Internal Controls, Standard Operating Procedures, and all Tribal Regulations.
- Masters degree in anthropology, archaeology, historic preservation or a related field.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of practical experience as a field archaeologist including 3-5 years supervising employees, or combination of related education and experience.
- Understanding of archaeological field, laboratory, reporting, research methods and curatorial practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal laws, state laws and regulations that govern historic preservation and environmental requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in carrying out tribal consultation and compliance activities under historic preservation regulationsincluding interpretation, analysis, and enforcement.
- Experience working for or with Tribal governments and indigenous communities.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills.
- Excellent time management skills and work ethic.
- Computer literate including experience with ArcGIS, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Adobe.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork in extreme weather.
- Ability to work both independently with little direction and in a group with direction.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively.
- Experience working with GPS, ArcGIS and Trimble units.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process.
To be considered for this position you
must complete the
Employer Online Application via the company website.
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa • Spa Resort Casino Hotel
Rancho Mirage • Palm Springs
HotWaterCasino.com • SpaResortCasino.com
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa, a four-diamond resort in Rancho Mirage, and Spa Resort Casino in downtown Palm Springs offer the hottest slots, a variety of table games, and high-limit gaming, plus fine dining, shopping, relaxing spas and luxurious hotel rooms, all in a gorgeous resort setting.
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, California has been repeatedly voted "Best Casino" in reader's polls. It’s home to more than a thousand slots, a variety of table games, and a wildly popular 18-table non-smoking Poker room. The casino offers exciting lounge entertainment plus award-winning dining, adjacent to its luxury resort hotel. Guests can stay in style in 340 deluxe rooms and suites; enjoy a relaxing spa, pool and cabana complex, as well as a state-of-the-art conference center. The Show, a 2,000 seat entertainment venue completes this world-class destination.
Spa Resort Casino is located in the heart of downtown Palm Springs, California. The resort’s boutique hotel offers 229 newly remodeled guest rooms, and the world-famous Spa which offers natural hot mineral springs. Spa Resort Casino also offers the best in gaming with slots, table games and a private high-limit gaming room. The property features fine dining, live entertainment and dancing, all just steps away from the downtown shops and restaurants that make Palm Springs one of the America’s most adored resorts.
Both resorts are owned and operated by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians, which also owns the world-famous Indian Canyons and Tahquitz Canyon hiking trails, and Indian Canyons Golf Resort.