Sous Chef - Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Tucson, Arizona 85756
Nov 27, 2017
Dec 27, 2017
Type of Position:
Food and Beverage
Under direct supervision of the Executive Sous Chef, performs one-on-one training of line cooks. Assists in menu writing, costing, scheduling, and all other related duties as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaches all kitchen employees the skills required of their specific position. Including but not limited to the use and care of the steel, the use of knives and other culinary tools. Keeps safety and sanitation uppermost in mind.
- Teaches the art of butchering, carving, and basic cooking fundamentals in each of the areas supervised.
- Supervises and prepares foods for the buffet, grill or for banquets as required by production sheets for the event(s).
- Informs wait staff of any food shortages well in advance of this occurrence. Finds a suitable substitute for the menu item if at all possible.
- Ensures that the proper amounts of food have been prepared for the Buffet in accordance with the production sheets.
- Supervises the replenishment of the Buffet so that guests will always find properly cooked food in sufficient quantity for their needs.
- Works on the service line of the Grill supervising and training all line cooks in the fundamentals of this line including but not limited to: portion control, plate appearance, and proper food preparation.
- Teaches all line cooks the importance of sanitation, cleaning, and safety. Ensures all employees to “clean as they go”.
- Ensures the line cooks prepare a variety of foods in quantities according to the menu and number of patrons to be served.
- Directs activities to one or more workers assisting with preparing and serving meals.
- Works according to established procedures of the Casino.
- Maintains a good communication with co-workers and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High School Degree or G.E.D, and two years experience as a Sous Chef, or five years in kitchen with 3 years of supervision experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Must be able to take an assessment test to determine skill level. Must be able to obtain Food handler card. Must be at least 18 years of age. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Knowledge of food preparation methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of operation of food preparation equipment and machinery.
- Knowledge of operation of holding ovens and baking ovens.
- Skill in managing assigned staff.
- Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in basic English.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Skill in supervising assigned staff.
- Skill in the use of computers preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the Casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam. Evening and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment
Fax: (520) 340-2154
Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. No phone calls, please.
The Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment offers a convenient, memorable entertainment experience in Tucson, Sahuarita, Why and Glendale, Arizona. Amenities include unmatched gaming options, fine dining, the Monsoon Nightclub and world-class sporting events, music concerts and comedy sets at the Diamond Center. Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment also offers one of the region's finest convention centers and high-tech meeting facilities.
An enterprise of the Tohono O’odham Nation, Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment has been in the gaming and entertainment business for almost 30 years, beginning in 1985 with the opening of Papago Bingo in the Tucson area.
In 1993, the first Desert Diamond Casino was opened on Nogales Highway. Six years later, a smaller facility opened in Why, Arizona. The third Desert Diamond Casino near Sahuarita was opened in 2001. In 2007, the original casino on Nogales Highway was replaced with a new casino, hotel and convention center complex. Our newest property, Desert Diamond Casino – West Valley opened in late 2015 and has quickly become one of the Phoenix metropolitan area’s hottest spots.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Tucson offers over 1,000 slots, a poker room with the area's most competitive tournaments, live blackjack, high-stakes bingo and fabulous keno.The hotel located only minutes from the Tucson International Airport includes complimentary wireless internet access, a heated outdoor pool, jetted hydro-spa, patio seating with a fire pit, exercise facilities, coffee bar and lounge.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Sahuarita offers hundreds of slots and live blackjack tables. Food & Beverage venues include three restaurants - the Agave Restaurant offering fine dining, the Diamond Buffet and the Diamond Grill, as well as the two cocktail lounges.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment Why is the perfect rest stop for travelers on their way to Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) or making the trek to western Arizona. Guests can play slots at the self-service gas station and fully stocked convenience store.
Desert Diamond Casinos & Entertainment West Valley - located in Glendale, Arizona offers a 35,000 sq. ft. Class 2 casino with bingo-style slot machines. It is currently undergoing a $400 million development which will result in a 1 million-square-foot resort with a 75,000 sq. ft. casino with table games, such as blackjack and poker, as well as Las Vegas-style slot machines. The new facility will also feature five restaurants and cocktail lounges.