Chief Financial Officer (CFO) - Sandia Resort & Casino
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Sandia Resort & Casino
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87113
Dec 14, 2016
Jan 18, 2017
Type of Position:
Accounting & Finance
The Chief Financial Officer is the primary financial executive of the Pueblo of Sandia, directs the Tribal government’s accounting practices, financial planning and budgeting, management and reporting, and external auditing and has primary management oversight of all Pueblo investments.
The CFO ensures enforcement of, and compliance with, the Fiscal Management, Budget and Appropriations, Budget Hearing, and Procurement Ordinances. He/she monitors the financial management and accounting practices of Tribal business entities not operating within the Tribal government structure.
The Chief Financial Officer develops and fosters relationships with government agencies, banking and lending institutions, investment managers, the financial community and Tribal members by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
Reports directly to the Governor and the Tribal Council. Supervises the Pueblo Finance Department and Sandia Resort, Casino & Enterprise Accounting Departments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitates discussions between Tribal Council and Tribal business entities and Tribal government divisions and departments in planning business objectives to develop organizational policies that coordinate functions, operations and financing.
- Represents the Finance Department at Tribal Council meetings.
- Manages and coordinates the Tribal government’s investment portfolio in conjunction with Tribal Council and selected investment consultants.
- Provides performance reporting to Tribal Council on alternative investments.
- Works with banks and/or selected investment consultants to raise additional capital if required for additional expansion.
- Oversees the finances of all governmental departments, agencies, divisions and programs. Brings matters of importance to the Tribal Council and prepares recommendations as required.
- Attends Sandia Resort & Casino (SRC) financial review meetings, and interacts with SRC primary management staff on financial reporting and projections.
- Oversees preparation and presents Tribal Government operating and capital budgets.
- Monitors compliance with budget and takes appropriate actions to address noncompliance issues.
- Works with Tribal Council and Governor to maintain and improve short and long range strategic and tactical plans and prospects for future growth, acquisitions or expansion for the Tribe in general, its separate entities and the primary government in particular. Including estimated requirements for capital, land, buildings and an increase in work force.
- Provides strategic management and procedures in the areas of accounting and finance in order to maintain adequate accounting processes, policies and internal controls to ensure complete, accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Oversees preparation of Tribal monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports; analyzes and interprets financial data, and presents financial reports to the Tribal Council.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual indirect cost proposal; conducts negotiations with the Department of Interior National Business Center (NBC) for acceptable indirect rate for each fiscal year.
- Under direction from Tribal Council, ensures compliance with Tribal, Local, State and Federal regulations that may have an impact on the Tribe, including financial reporting, budget management, grant management, contracts, and purchasing.
- Responsible for annual audits of Tribal entities and reviews audit results and implements necessary internal controls and revisions.
- Supervisory responsibilities include, but are not limited to, training, motivating, empowering and evaluating staff. Directly supervises the key management positions within the Finance Division that in turn directly supervise their respective departments within the Finance Division.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of governmental and enterprise economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Ability to determine how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Ability to identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of database and accounting computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information.
- Knowledge of financial reporting and records maintenance requirements as required by the Accountancy board code of Ethics and Controller Code of Ethics and Procedures.
- Knowledge of the practices, procedures, and processes used in investment analysis activities.
GAMING INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE IS PREFERRED
- High School Diploma, GED certification or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or a related field from an accredited college or university
- CPA professional certification
- Fifteen (15) years of financial, accounting, budget and supervisory experience, including overseeing the management of 401(k) and investment portfolios, with at least ten (10) years at the executive management level
- Advanced knowledge and practical experience of Generally Accepted Governmental Accounting Principles, business accounting and budgeting and auditing standards and practices
- Experience with the Department of Interior’s National Business Center’s annual indirect cost proposal process
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New Mexico Driver’s License
Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or a related field
Medical clinic accounting, budgeting and auditing
Must be able to obtain and maintain the required Gaming License.
CMA, and CGFM professional certifications must be obtained during course of employment within time periods determined by Tribal Council.
Will require a post-offer, pre-employment and random drug screening.
To Apply: Click on the "Apply Now" button and complete our company's online application.
Human Resources Dept.
30 Rainbow Rd., NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Sandia Resort & Casino is situated on the Northeast corner of I-25 and Tramway Road in Albuquerque.
The casino offers 140,000 square feet of your favorite games, including more than 2,100 slots, Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, Mini Baccarat, Pai Gow Poker, Caribbean Stud Poker, Three Card Poker, Let It Ride, the state's largest non-smoking Poker room, Bingo and live Keno.