Associate General Counsel - Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa & Spa Resort Casino
Associate General Counsel
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa & Spa Resort Casino
Palm Springs, California 92264
Oct 06, 2016
Feb 20, 2017
Type of Position:
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Under direction of the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel for the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians (Tribe) is responsible for providing legal advice to the Tribal Council, Administration, Departments, and Committees regarding a wide array of tribal legal matters. The Associate General Counsel position will be integral to the growth of the Tribes legal department and ideally will have an increasing focus on one or more of the following matters: tribal taxation, tribal labor and employment, general commercial contracting, and other transactional matters as may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(This list is not all-inclusive and other tasks or duties may be assigned at any time.)
- Advises professional staff and represents or assists in the representation of the Tribe on a wide range of matters, ideally with a focus on taxation, labor and employment, and related matters possibly before federal, state, or local agencies.
- Must be able to independently conduct research, prepare legal memoranda, and present legal analysis.
- Must be able to contribute as part of a team of professionals dedicated to strengthening tribal government and growing tribal business.
- Must be organized and willing to contribute to the growth of the Tribes legal department.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Devotes full time to the Tribe and does not engage in the representation of other clients as a consultant or engage in other activities, which would interfere with the legal representation of the Tribe.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Member of the state bar of California preferred, or member of another state bar in good standing and willing to sit for the California bar exam as soon as possible.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a licensed attorney working on tribal issues.
- Strong commitment to the advancement of tribal sovereignty and self-determination.
- Experience working with and drafting tribal law is desirable.
- Working knowledge of issues related to tribal taxation such as dual taxation, tax assessments, exemptions, reporting and tax avoidance, or experience advising non-tribal state or local government clients on the same.
- Experience defending challenges to tribal, state or local taxing authorities.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and advising tribal clients on intergovernmental tax agreements.
- Experience advising tribal clients on labor and employment issues such as OSHA, FMLA, Fair Labor Standards, employment discrimination and collective bargaining.
- Providing everyday human resource advice and regular training on personnel policies and procedures, hiring and evaluating employees, employee investigations, discipline and termination, grievances and dispute resolution, Native American and tribal member employment preferences, union solicitation and organizing efforts and wage and hour issues.
- Experience litigating employment disputes in all forums: tribal, state and federal courts.
- Experience working within a tribal government environment or within a law firm practice devoted to tribal issues is preferred.
- Tribal preference applies.
To be considered for this position you
must complete the
Employer Online Application via the company website.
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa • Spa Resort Casino Hotel
Rancho Mirage • Palm Springs
HotWaterCasino.com • SpaResortCasino.com
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa, a four-diamond resort in Rancho Mirage, and Spa Resort Casino in downtown Palm Springs offer the hottest slots, a variety of table games, and high-limit gaming, plus fine dining, shopping, relaxing spas and luxurious hotel rooms, all in a gorgeous resort setting.
Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, California has been repeatedly voted "Best Casino" in reader's polls. It’s home to more than a thousand slots, a variety of table games, and a wildly popular 18-table non-smoking Poker room. The casino offers exciting lounge entertainment plus award-winning dining, adjacent to its luxury resort hotel. Guests can stay in style in 340 deluxe rooms and suites; enjoy a relaxing spa, pool and cabana complex, as well as a state-of-the-art conference center. The Show, a 2,000 seat entertainment venue completes this world-class destination.
Spa Resort Casino is located in the heart of downtown Palm Springs, California. The resort’s boutique hotel offers 229 newly remodeled guest rooms, and the world-famous Spa which offers natural hot mineral springs. Spa Resort Casino also offers the best in gaming with slots, table games and a private high-limit gaming room. The property features fine dining, live entertainment and dancing, all just steps away from the downtown shops and restaurants that make Palm Springs one of the America’s most adored resorts.
Both resorts are owned and operated by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians, which also owns the world-famous Indian Canyons and Tahquitz Canyon hiking trails, and Indian Canyons Golf Resort.